Do I Need To Get A Life?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do I Need To Get A Life?

Do I Need To Get A Life?

How many people have networks at home running off "real" servers? In other words, NT Server running on an old desktop does not count. Recently, I thought it would be fun to have a network at home that closely mimics on a very small scale what we have at work. I bought a Compaq Proliant 1600 PII 400 on Ebay because it is the best model I could afford to buy that we also use at work. I already had a separate Compaq storage array (seven 4.3 gig SCSI drives), a CD tower (fourteen 12x SCSI CD-ROMs), and a pretty nice 24 port 3Com managed hub. I also have three desktops to serve as clients (none of which are anything special).

Is anybody else doing something like this in their homes? I'm justifying it by pointing out what great training I will get by experimenting with it. Later this year, I plan on taking CompTIA's Server+ exam and I figure this will give me something to study with.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

I have a pIII 700 Linux Server running Red Hat 7.3 and Apache and an AMD Duron 700 running Win2K Advanced server and SQL Server 2000. I know they're "Old Desktops" but I don't really deal with the server hardware at work, so I only wanted to recreate the software environment. I have a 5 port Linksys switch and a router and a Netgear wireless access point, which all work great for what I need. If I ever did get into the full on server side of things, I'd probably buy a "proper" server but for now, I'll stick to cheap ones

Cheers
    Bollocks

Banned
    I,m "playing" around with networking , as well as my main machine (xp1600 etc etc) I have just bought a QDI brillianx 1v (duel cpu p3) and altered it to 2x1g p3 (on adapter slockets) ,,,,I also picked up 2 x http://www.fel.fujitsu.com/home/prod...D=217&INFO=cfg ,,,for about £10.00 each , i also bought (cheaply) a "black box" serve switch ,,,,and a gigafast 8 way swich ,,,,

have got the duel machine at the side of my armchair , with a "radio" k/b + mouse and the vid card (gf2 mx tv out) plugged to the tv set ,

when i get chance to sit down (relax) i just press AV and connect ,,,with the k/b on my knee and the mouse on the chair arm

am trying to set another bx machine up at the moment ,,,,

god this is a learning curve !!!!

I got a couple comps here -- one I use to use as a webserver, one an FTP, another an internal file server, game server and a final one to work with, then of course my own lil comp

I got a ton of parts too...12 HDs range from 850mb to 4.3gb, vid cards out the wazoo, jsut a ton of parts.

I get a lot of use of 'em really

Well I don't have a netfinity at home (yet) but I have a P2 400 with half a gig of ram, plus sh!tloads of disk space (80g, 40g and a 8 g disks) and win2k adv srvr with a mysql dbase and fax/email server setup.. is that not server enough for you??
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Do you need to "get a life"?

Nah. You're just doing what you like to do.

I don't have any servers, as yet. Everything's peer-to-peer. I am going to purchase a Snap Server in the not too distant future to hang storage space on the network.

This is all fun! Enjoy it!
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

I've looked at those Snap servers and they look good. I'm using a Linksys 20GB NAS device. I love it - although a bit slow.
    I have 2 main systems, 1 win2k server, 2 laptops ( soon to be wireless ).
    Some people work on cars and have carparts all over their yard. I have my computer parts all over the house.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    I wouldn't consider the low-end Snap Server's if you're in it for speed. They are pretty slow. But if you're looking to hang some storage off your network, it's a decent enough idea.

I'm going to get it to centralize my data, more or less, and have a place to backup from.

Cheers,

m
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Just a NAT server/Router/Wireless/Switch

two dual amd mp 2100+ servers. One running win2k server other linux red hat 7.3

I have 5 workstations running winxp. One mac machine. and a p3 700 mhz freebsd server.

What if I have both computers and cars all over? And computers in cars?

Your life is great, don'y worry about it.

Actually, I kind of wish I had the same toys to experiment with!

I've got one PC (PII 350 with WinXP Pro) and 2 laptops (486 Thinkpad running Win95 and PII 300 Armada on Win2000) which I need to set up each time I need to test something out.

Don't even have enough hardware for a Linux box yet.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Chat Moderator Great White North's Avatar
    Originally posted by Aaron Cake
    What if I have both computers and cars all over? And computers in cars?

Would like to see that.
    Igloos for sale!! Buy them today keep the cold away!

yes
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

What the heck is THAT?!

Custom MP3 system?

Missile launcher?

Emergency Kraft Dinner replicator?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams