No sound while playing DVD movie?

Thread: No sound while playing DVD movie?

Registered User Guysdrinkingbeer's Avatar

Question No sound while playing DVD movie?

OK, here is the problem so far. The roommate of a friend of mine has an old Gateway computer/entertainment center that the sound died on. It was an old PII 266 (I believe it is a 440LX). The sound board that connected to all of the RCA stereo jacks bought the farm. I had an old sound blaster 32 card and a gateway board with a PII 350 + 256RAM not doing anything and I gave it to her.
    All was going fine till she tried to play a DVD movie and the sound cut out. Stop the movie and the sound comes back. It only cuts out for the movie.(We have tried several) I have tried several pieces of software players to no effect. I am lost.
    The only thing that I have come up with is that the sound card is to old and cannot handle the DVD. Am I correct in this or might I have overlooked something? Thanks in advance for the help.
    "Don't Panic" in large friendly letters on the cover.

try these

first, virus scan here
    <it's free>
    then get the new/latest drivers for your sound card...
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

Registered User Guysdrinkingbeer's Avatar
    Should have posted. I did both. Used Norton 2002 with latest update and installed latest Creative drivers.
    "Don't Panic" in large friendly letters on the cover.

you might be trying to send Dolby pro logic data to the driver..

check your DVD software settings..

you can also try DVDgenie it might help set some sewttings you can't normally set in your software.

A PII 350 is not considered powerful enough to run DVDs in general.

You didn't write if you havea DVD decoding card installed but I think that combining a slow CPU with and ISA interface card is why you're experiencing problems..

Originally posted by condor
    A PII 350 is not considered powerful enough to run DVDs in general.

You didn't write if you havea DVD decoding card installed but I think that combining a slow CPU with and ISA interface card is why you're experiencing problems..
    With a 'good' video card installed a PII 350 is just about enough (with sufficient mem available) to do a DVD play, but your SB 32 ain't.

So if you have a 'better' s/c available - PCI based with it's own hardware acceleration available then maybe, just maybe it will be ok.

Condor is on the right lines certainly!!

BTW if your player s/w lets you can you get the sound to work with just a very little picture in a window, this'll tell you if its the extra load from the video or not....so it'll give an idea whether a new s/c might help too....
    Last edited by confus-ed; August 9th, 2002 at 06:24 AM.