Windows 98 and XP not getting along?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98 and XP not getting along?

Angry Windows 98 and XP not getting along?

Ok I have a peer to peer network with two computers using a cross over cable. The machine with XP (Home) is the host of the internet connection. The problem is, the 98 machine when first turned on will connect to the net fine. After a few mins later the 98 machine will automaticly dissconnect from the network without any warning. I'll have to reboot this machine just so i can surf the web. (It's cable internet) The only way i can tell is if I try to go to a webpage my browser will say "Cannot open web page". Any of you heard of this problem?
    -================================-
    -={[ Prince Abaddon of the United Angels Federation ]}=-
    ================================-

Well.....

I haven't had a lot of experience with XP and peer to peer internet sharing but this might help. Give it a browse.
    Sooouuuushi!

Make sure your Guest Acct. on the XP box is set to enable. Might help!!
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

Are you using fixed ip's or dhcp?

If you are using dhcp then I suggest you try a fixed ip for the 98 box, sounds like the ip is renewing and cutting the connection.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Is there not some ICS wizard that you run on the XP machine that creates a diskette which in turn you run on the 98? I seem to remember doing that at some point, although I rarely touch XP at the moment.

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Are you using fixed ip's or dhcp?

If you are using dhcp then I suggest you try a fixed ip for the 98 box, sounds like the ip is renewing and cutting the connection.

I have no idea what dhcp is, and the ip is fixed. As for the guest account, it's already enabled. The network setup diskett, it was thoes that i used to setup this network.

Also when I try to play a network game, I can't connect to games but yet i can still transfer files..... that's about the only thing I can do after I dissconnect.

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Try this:

First, force the situation to happen again.

Second, drop into a cmd line and ping the IP address of the WinXP box.

If this works, it's something higher than protocol, something software related.

What software are you using the host the Internet connection? ICS? Or something third-party?
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Then possibly you have the XP built in firewall operating and its blocking the connection... or its powering down the network card in power saving... go to hardware properties for the nic and check.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Red face Well....

Originally posted by The Computer Valet
    Try this:

First, force the situation to happen again.

Second, drop into a cmd line and ping the IP address of the WinXP box.

If this works, it's something higher than protocol, something software related.

What software are you using the host the Internet connection? ICS? Or something third-party?
    Well, I couldn't "Force" the situation to happen agian but it did eventually happen. Apprently, I pinged the machine and got a response. (0%loss) and time was <10ms.:P Then I decided to ping another machine accross the internet and that worked also. But then when I tried to visite that website, i got the same responses. I am using ICS.

As for NooNoo's solution, apprently the box for powering down the NIC WAS checked and now I unchecked it. But then thing is, my bro uses that computer for 12 hours a day, I thought the power saving option will kick in when the system is idle. And I turned off firewall in the XP machine.

Well let's wait and see what happens.

After the situations happens, when you drop into winipcfg, what does the IP address read for the Ethernet card.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Unhappy IP is :

Originally posted by The Computer Valet
    After the situations happens, when you drop into winipcfg, what does the IP address read for the Ethernet card.
    It reads : 192.168.0.217
    same as after I reboot

Are you able to connect to web addresses that you browsed BEFORE the drop off occurred?

You said you're using static addresses. You can't ping that address when the computer is off right? (Reason I ask is that this almost sounds like an IP conflict.)

Also: What is supplying your DNS?

Another question: How do you have your Connection settings altered in Internet Explorer options? Is it configured to detect proxy?
    Last edited by The Computer Valet; August 15th, 2002 at 09:18 AM.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Are you able to connect to web addresses that you browsed BEFORE the drop off occurred? Yes I can view them, but after...

You said you're using static addresses. You can't ping that address when the computer is off right? Which computer? I can ping any address on the web and the XP machine when the 98 machine dissconnects

Is it configured to detect proxy? Yes it is on auto detect

What is supplying your DNS? (If I understand this question correctly) it would be my XP machine

Uncheck the autodetect and reboot.

In the properties for the 98 tcp/ip machine check that the gateway is 192.168.0.1 - if not add it and in DNS type in the computer name of the xp machine and the ip 192.168.0.1 - again reboot. (the ip 192.168.0.1 is the default for windows ics - if the xp machine is not 192.168.0.1 then enter the ip of the xp machine in gateway and dns tabs).

Your XP machine wouldn't be supplying the DNS numbers. They would be the ISP that the XP machine logs into.

Open your Connections config and select "LAN Settings..."

Uncheck EVERYTHING in that window. Nothing should be selected.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen