XP Serial key
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP Serial key

XP Serial key

aright is there any way to find out your windows xp key through the registry or just anyway at all thru the user without having to talk to the microsoft people.

Right click on my computer, then go to properties... it is listed under the general tab.
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

oh my thank you, cept for it was so easy i feel dumb. thx agin.

Hmmm, the numbe/charactersr I put in on install does not match the numbers on the general tab of my computer properties... if this is for a reinstall because he has lost his key, then thats not what you want.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Under WinNT and 2000, go to the registry key named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion and look for an entry named ProductId (Data Type: REG_SZ). The 6th through 15th characters represent the CD Key.

But for WinXP, you won't find it in the registry.

On the other hand, you can use the application I've uploaded to my webspace: ViewKeyXP.

It worked flawlessly on my WinXP Pro, so I assume it will work for others as well - even if you run it from your browser (select Open instead of Save when prompted).
    Last edited by a d e p t; August 15th, 2002 at 02:26 PM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Originally posted by a d e p t
    Under WinNT and 2000, go to the registry key named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion and look for an entry named ProductId (Data Type: REG_SZ). The 6th through 15th characters represent the CD Key.
    Some retail version of 2k use the 25 position keys that you see with newer products.

Good point NooNoo, mine doesn't match either.

I believe that www.belarc.com will give you your Win XP key.

I am going to try it now.

EDIT: gives you the same license as that in the general tab. better try the other suggestion
    Last edited by DiR[ëctory]; August 14th, 2002 at 03:07 PM.
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

Originally posted by SubZero

Some retail version of 2k use the 25 position keys that you see with newer products.
    You wouldn't have a specific build number for those versions?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Mine is a Pre-SP1 Retail Upgrade purchased thru one of my vendors. I believe the build is 5.0.2195...can't remember right off

Nice bit of coding adept,care to enlighten as to where it looks for the key?

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Super job ADEPT. It has gone right into my toolkit. Many thanks.

Sorry to dissappoint you guys, and I wish I could take the credit, but all I did was STFW.

All I know is that the coder is one of those genius Russians, like Ruslan. Oh wait - Ruslan's a genius Canadian now!

I'm guessing it's a decrypter of whatever weak hash WinXP is using to encode it's CD key - a mix between SoftIce and LC4.

Originally posted by SubZero
    Mine is a Pre-SP1 Retail Upgrade purchased thru one of my vendors. I believe the build is 5.0.2195...can't remember right off
    Something like the versions used in corporate licensing situations, maybe?

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Originally posted by a d e p t
    Sorry to dissappoint you guys, and I wish I could take the credit, but all I did was STFW.

All I know is that the coder is one of those genius Russians, like Ruslan. Oh wait - Ruslan's a genius Canadian now!

I'm guessing it's a decrypter of whatever weak hash WinXP is using to encode it's CD key - a mix between SoftIce and LC4.
    Remember "the world doesn't want to hear about the labor pains, it just wants to see the baby"

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
    No CD key in the registry... I took my first 5 digits and scanned... nothing.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans