Me + Linux + Samba = Me Pulling My Hair Out

Thread: Me + Linux + Samba = Me Pulling My Hair Out

Me + Linux + Samba = Me Pulling My Hair Out

I have just set up a Linux box to try and learn how to use Linux and hence free myself from a Windows world. However, in doing so, I have come across a little problem that I simply cannot seem to solve.

Here it is. I have RadHat 7.3 all updated from the RedHat Network. I also have the latest version of Samba. When I try and set Samba up so my Windows 2000 computer can access it, I keep getting 'The network path was not found.' errors.

I am at wits end, and am also quite mad to boot, as recetly (within the last day) I cannot even access 'Computers close to me' from Network Neighborhood. It gives the same 'network path not found' error.

Any help is appreciated, as I'm about to wipe the entire HD and go back to Windows. :\

--Stryfe
    Please insert volume 'BRAIN' and press any key to continue.

/me often wonders why there isn't a minimum IQ requirement to use a computer.

Samba

Try this

www.linuxnewbie.org is a very good site and will have your answer

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    How are you trying to access the Windows boxes? NetBIOS names or IP? And if you're using NetBIOS, is NetBIOS over TCP/IP disabled on the Windows box?

You should also verify the tcp stack is working by pinging back and forth.

Also: I can't say this is true of Samba, but mostly any configuration changes in the *nix world require a service restart.

If you suspect that NetBIOS is not working, perhaps you could alter your windows hosts file so when you type in "Linuxbox" it resolves to an IP without relying on Samba to pass you NetBIOS names.

Just some thoughts...
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Use webmin or SWAT to administer it if you are a newbie ;-). Hell, I still use SWAT... nice web interface. Try connecting to is using the IP address instead of the host name. Also, another thing that always hung me up the first few installs I would do is that I would forget to create the computer account on the PDC before I joined it to the domain. On the PDC, go into the server manager and add a computer account with the name of your Samba box... Then in the shell type

smbpasswd -j DOMAIN (enter)

By default windows uses encrypted passwords and samba (unless you configured in smb.conf) uses plain text password.

to fix that you can change your windows 2000 to plain text passwords:

Open regedit

go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanWorkStation\Parameters

create a new DWORD value named:

EnablePlainTextPassword

give it the value 1

close regedit and restart.

your windows 2000 pc should now have no problem connecting to your samba server.

hope it helps.