What indoor temp should you advise customers to no use their computer?

Thread: What indoor temp should you advise customers to no use their computer?

In one of the really, really Blue states.

What indoor temp should you advise customers to no use their computer?

We have been going thru a hot spell here in Vermont, USA. I am seeing blown hard drives, power supplies etc. I have been advising people without air conditioning to not run their computer if the indoor temp is over 82 degrees. This is just a guess. What do other people think?

i'm up in maine my computer is in a room that goes to 100 deg w/out ac... but haveing said that...had a cheap psu go...replaces with an aopen...no problems so far...
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

82 degrees sounds too low. True, in an ideal situation computers would only be run outside on a cold winter day, but I do not think the failure rate will increase much at 82 degrees. In the production part of our company, it commonly gets over 90 in the summer. Some of the computers are in poorly ventilated cabinets. Many are dusty. We do have a higher failure rate amongst these computers over the office computers, but they still do surprisingly well. I think if your customer can survive the heat, so can the computer.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

Arrow

I usually suggest temprature of 27(C) and Humidity level of up to ~80%.

Good Luck
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Its 35C in my office in the evening... never have a problem with the machines over heating, just me
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It goes from -30 C in the winter to +30 C in the summer with humidty varying between 65 and 95. I notice no difference in the amount of power supplies that pop or hard drives that crash. What I find to be the main factor in component lifespan is the amount of dust in a system.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    Albert Einstein

Depends upon your PC, the CPU type and how well ventilated it is, what kind of HDD and what sort of load they will be putting on it (idle or being used).

Still, in general I'd say turn 'em off when it's going above 90 degrees F. My amd system rebooted itself the otherday when it hit 95 and that thing has 4 fans on the case.

It depends largly on the sys. A fullyl oaded XP2200 wil be very hot unles you stick in loads of fans. I had a similar problem only a month ago.

I had to recently do a major pc upgrade on my case and cooling. I need a very quiet PC due ot it being in my bedroom and ahving a partner who does not link humming :P

I sacrafised cooling for noise and let my sys run a little hotter than normal - av CPU temp was a loverly 55C - 65C. The case i might add only hit 37C max after being on for a day or 2.

One of the very rare hit summer days in the UK my CPU reached 69.5C !!!! so I though ****it and got a new case (aluminium) and water cooling.

My sys now has one fane for the rad (at back) nad runs at 50C cpu (max temp) and the case is 34C on average. This was on a really hot day.

Most computers will be ifne in very hot temps as long as they ahev decent cooling.
    As I say to all users - Shutup & Re-boot

www.djrobjones.com - everything House

The specs on my servers call for 50-95F or 10-35C
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Originally posted by teknopuke
    ...What I find to be the main factor in component lifespan is the amount of dust in a system.
    Indeed - very good point.
    I "dust" the computers once every 6 Monthes.
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence