Can't get Windows XP Pro to install on system

Thread: Can't get Windows XP Pro to install on system

Angry Can't get Windows XP Pro to install on system

Hey I've got a problem installing Windows XP Pro on this one system. Here are the system specs:

PII 333
    256MB RAM
    6.4GB HD
    Asus P2B-F motherboard
    ATI rage IIC AGP video
    SB AWE32 sound card

Here's what happens. When the XP install begins copying files to the hard drive (which is blank by the way) The install stops randomly and says that files that were copied are not the acutall files or it will say that the file just could not be copied. This happens completely at random when coping files there's no pattern to which file it stops at. If you tell it to skip then another random file won't copy. I've tried different cd-rom drives, different XP CD's, updated the bios, tried turning off udma in the bios but nothing works. This machine was running win98 with no problem. I've even gone as far as partitioning the drive and then copying file winxp files manually to do a "from the drive" install but even the dos copy fails randomly. This is with multiple cd-rom drives and winxp cd's and they are all good. I've run out of options here. HELP!!!

By good, I hope I am hearing legal....

Backup copies of XP can be flakey

Remove the sound card - physically as a first step if that doesn't work check and/or replace the ram - www.simmtester.com and download docmem.

Turn off acpi in bios or press f5 when XP says press f6 and select Standard Hal.

Start turning off in bios any other onboard devices...if it is still doing it, but, I am betting on the sound card or the ram.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I had a very similar problem trying to install winxp on an older Asus board. I tried everything from installing from the hard drive to removing devices, etc. There were always files that would not copy, and then the installation would fail. After weeks of screwing around, I decided to pull out all the ram (all of which had tested fine) and just put in one 128 strip. Guess what?...Xp installed without a flaw in 35 minutes start to finish. Once installed, I ran all win updates and re-inserted my other two strips of ram. Everything runs fine. Give it a try...it can't hurt
    Paul

personally I have great luck with ATI Radeon 8500 64 meg with an AMD athalon cpu Ive run every game out ther and the graphics are awsome with everything turn up to max with no slow downs at all and there a rock solid video board.

personally I have great luck with ATI Radeon 8500 64 meg with an AMD athalon cpu Ive run every game out there and the graphics are awsome with everything turn up to max with no slow downs at all and there a rock solid video board.