Networking Broadband

Thread: Networking Broadband

Question Networking Broadband

I have got a home network set up through a hub and had internet connection sharing through a standard modem.
    However I have just subscribed to NTL (company name) Broadband and i cannot get the other users on my network to access it.
    I am connected via a USB network adapter to the broadband set top box, and my network as normal through network cards and hub.
    I can access broadband on the main computer where installed and i can access my network, but other users can only access my system and not connect to the internet as before with the modem.
    I have been told it is possible to do but cannot find out how (tech support with company will not advise on how to do it) so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Taz in Gosport

You need some form of net-sharing software installed on the box with the fast access...If you have Win98SE, WinME, or WinXP you can use the built-in Internet Connection Sharing app...if you have Win98 or Win2000 then you'll need third-party software. Since the fast access interfaces via USB, you CAN'T use a typical router, so the software is your only option. There are tons of sites that reference how to do this, but may fav is:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

A couple lines down you'll see the start of the Windows ICS guides...read the one that relates to your situation and follow it to the letter and you should be up in no time! Good luck!

Another Brit makes it on to the boards, hello Taz in Gosport

What os is on the machine with the NTL connection?

Yes it is very possible to share to connection, you just got to get windows to play nice
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

At present i am running 98se but THINKING about going to xp pro. other machines on my network that i wish to log on with are xp pro & 98se

Forgive my manners.

Good evening NooNoo.

Originally posted by Taz in Gosport
    At present i am running 98se but THINKING about going to xp pro. other machines on my network that i wish to log on with are xp pro & 98se
    XP Pro likes being in charge - probably the easiest way to share it. 98se ics is flakey at times, 2K/XP seems much more stable.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Since my last message my system has crashed again so if XP Pro is the best way of sharing NTL i will load it as soon as i get a chance ( hoping i can find drivers etc) so any help with sharing ntl with xp pro Please

You may also want to check the back of your cable modem. I know that mine supports a USB connection as well as a CAT5. If it does have a network connection, it may be in your best interest to buy a cable/dsl router, so that one computer does not have to be on for the others to access the internet.
    end of line.

In addition to Kymera`s postDabs.com , do a resonably priced Four port ADLS ethernet Router in their value range[works alright on BT] or you can go for dearer type with built in firewall.

I have that very same router

be aware though he is on cable.
    As I say to all users - Shutup & Re-boot

www.djrobjones.com - everything House

the most useful choice is would have to be get a Cable/DSL router like Archer said. I have a Linksys EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch (product # BEFSR41) It works like a dream, plus my PC no longer has to run all day so everyone else can log on. You can find this unit for about $40 U.S.

Caffeine is your friend

if you have Win98 or Win2000 then you'll need third-party software
    InTheWayBoy,

Why would you need third-party ICS software for W2k?

Am I missing something?

emr

Well I had a brain fart...never noticed you could share with Win2000...my bad