Which CD-RW should I buy for my Compaq and what cd-rw disks to buy for my Lite-on?

Thread: Which CD-RW should I buy for my Compaq and what cd-rw disks to buy for my Lite-on?

Which CD-RW should I buy for my Compaq and what cd-rw disks to buy for my Lite-on?

I have a Compaq Duron 800 and would like to install an internal CD-RW drive but not sure which one to buy. I don't want to spend a lot of money onthis since it is my second computer. By not a lot I would say not over $100.

Second part of my question, my new computer is a Dell that came with a CD-RW which is a Lite-On 24x10x40x and want to order some disks but not sure if any cd-rw media will work.

Lois

i upgrated from a 12x10x24 liteon to a32x12x40 liteon. both worked fine with what ever i used.just make sure you dont try to burn at 24x with 12x or 16x disks.liteon, imo are good inexpensive burners.
    Chicken one day...feathers the next
    Set your goals high and then go get a ladder.

Originally posted by BC GREEN
    i upgrated from a 12x10x24 liteon to a32x12x40 liteon. both worked fine with what ever i used.just make sure you dont try to burn at 24x with 12x or 16x disks.liteon, imo are good inexpensive burners.

Hell yeah. I have a 24x10x40 liteon at home and a 16x10x40 at work. Not a bit of trouble out of them.
    That's the worst looking hat I ever saw. You buy a hat like that I bet you get a free bowl of soup. It looks good on you though.

I just bought the 40x12x48 and apart from the fact that the nero bundled with it has a stupid install error, its wonderful, burns merrily at 32x for disks rated 24
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have had a few liteons, and installed alot myself, they are good for the price you pay

Banned
    not forgeting that "most" of the lite-on series of writers , ie 32/40/48 can be flashed "upwards" ,,,ie a 32 - 48 , this can be done using the bios upgrades ,(from there website) - but u must remember to run this thru windose , std h/d controller and set in the correct prim/sec position.

i have sucsesfully upgraded a "box full" of out of date 32x to 48 , for a retail shop.

FtF

interesting, although can they actually be sold as 48x's since they are flashed that way?

Originally posted by freddy

i have sucsesfully upgraded a "box full" of out of date 32x to 48 , for a retail shop.

FtF [/B]
    , will the upgrade show the change in device manager?

Banned
    yes , they show up as the correct model.

and , its amasing what a bit of cleaning solution will do to the writing on the front panel.

all you are left with is the sticker on the top of the drive "what sticker?" ,,,,when you put them in new builds.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

they are giving away the 32x (and now the 40x) as the speeds progress.

NOTE: anybody attempting to "flash" the bios (with the wrong one) will render there warrenty void.

do so at your own risk.

FtF

Thanks to BC Green for his response to my inquiry and to all the others who responded as well.

I am going to get the Lite-On for the Compaq computer I have. After mentioning this post to others they too recommend the Lite-On. Unfortunately I have to buy this on-line so I now have another question.

The descriptions of the product mention IDE or EIDE. Does it matter which Lite-On I purchase or does the mention of the above two matter as far as compatibility with my Compaq? It is just a year old.

Originally posted by lois
    [

The descriptions of the product mention IDE or EIDE. Does it matter which Lite-On I purchase or does the mention of the above two matter as far as compatibility with my Compaq? It is just a year old. [/B]
    if your compaq is still under warrenty you may void it if you open the case.you may want to call them and tell them that you want to add the burner.## YOU MUST HAVE A OPEN INTERNAL IDE PORT FOR THE BURNER+ A OPEN BAY FOR IT TO MOUNT IN.do you know what im talking about?

I know what the open bay is and yes I do have one of those but not sure about the IDE port.

The computer is no longer under warranty as of three months ago but no problem with that. I have been inside to install a sound card, upgrade my modem (went broadband shortly thereafter), and added memory modules so I feel comfortable going in there.

i have sent you an e-mail.