General Question About Warranties

Thread: General Question About Warranties

General Question About Warranties

Do hard drive manufacturers warranty their drives even when the machine that it's on was built by another company? For example, an IBM drive in an Alienware made machine.

thanks.....d

That depends whether the drive was oem or not... if it was oem, the builder bought out the warranty and the builder is responsible for any warranty. If you don't know most sites allow you to input the serial number of the drive to confirm or deny whether it is in warranty or not.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes and with many OEMs going out of business, one can get stuck without a replacement. I just delt with that not long ago. Can't remember the HD mfg, but they were willing to "let" me "apply" for replacement. After much time on the phone and wasted breath they were going to fax me the long application. The fax never came through so I just forgot about it.

Hmmmmmm..................

Coeur d'Alene ya say?

Doc is the only one from CDA................
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

I checked the IBM hard drive warranty page and typed in the serial and part number and found out the drive was still under warranty. I was able to create an RMA online. Need to pack and ship and hopefully have the replacement in a couple of weeks.....thanks all....d

yeah isnt that cool!?

It's actually very uncool. The last drive I RMA'd from IBM was a 36gig ultrastar. I recieved my RMA drive approximately 4 weeks after they recieved my drive (due to "limitted availability"). They won't give you a new one. They will only give you a remanufactured one. The one I got was dead and I'm on my second RMA now.

Three or four (or longer) months ago I had to RMA two GXP75 IBM drives. One took 4 weeks to get here and one took 6 weeks.

In total, every IBM drive I've bought in the last 12 months has gone south. IBM blows.

This is probabaly my punishment for saying they were great drives it he past.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

They have been getting alot of flak lately. Probably well deserved. Anyways... I was just commenting on how they could look up your warranty. I think WD can do the same. I got a refurbed drive from them as well. Diffrent model number, but it appeared to have identical specs.

nick

Originally posted by silencio
    It's actually very uncool. The last drive I RMA'd from IBM was a 36gig ultrastar. I recieved my RMA drive approximately 4 weeks after they recieved my drive (due to "limitted availability"). They won't give you a new one. They will only give you a remanufactured one. The one I got was dead and I'm on my second RMA now.

Three or four (or longer) months ago I had to RMA two GXP75 IBM drives. One took 4 weeks to get here and one took 6 weeks.

In total, every IBM drive I've bought in the last 12 months has gone south. IBM blows.

This is probabaly my punishment for saying they were great drives it he past.
    The freight charges alone to have to constantly send them away can add up as well.