VPN & Cable Modem

Thread: VPN & Cable Modem

VPN & Cable Modem

I'm new at VPN. Have a home network using a VPN connection to their corporate office. They use Cable Modem for internet access, which works fine. Problem is when they log on to the VPN, the internet slows way down, and they can receive e-mails, but not send. Do I need a VPN router that allows for multi tunnelling and/or bidirectional tunnelling? Or am I just missing a setting.
    OS=XP Pro
    Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem.- Ronald Reagan

I am guessing the problem lies with the upload speed on the cable modem and nothing to do with the VPN solution.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    When one person is connected via VPN their Internet connectivity slows?

Wow. That's an interesting problem.

What are your using for Remote Desktop capability? Netmeeting? Terminal Services? VNC?
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

hope this helps out a little.

if it's remote desktop use tightvnc, instead of vnc/netmeeting...

(it's got compression ablities, it's doable with a dail up...)

how are you doing vpn? is it on a win2k server? if so is it a relitivly powerful machine that can do the load....

also c/m's as said before are slow uploads...for me personally at home with rr c/m i get 400-500 Kbps download, but only 50-100 Kbps upload

tight vnc
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

Setup

Host is 2k Server and client is XP Pro. It's not thru a dial up, it's Cable Modem. I haven't connected a router yet cause I wanted to resolve the VPN issue first, so it's just connected to the cable modem. When I did connect the router (there will be two machines eventually), I could connect to the VPN server, but not access the folder. Connection is configurted with PPtP protocol.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem.- Ronald Reagan