How do install 2k server.

Thread: How do install 2k server.

How do install 2k server.

What is the quickest/easiest way to install 2k on a new machine? WITHOUT using opk tool.
    Thanks.

Boot from CD rom, follow the prompts.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yep, that's pretty fast.
    end of line.

That's the quickest way.....
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

what if you can't boot from CD?

Thnaks everyone.
    I knew that but some old machines does not support booting from CD rom and I have to create boot disks, (4 of them) not only take llong time but some time I get an error message that. I hve tried installing from another hard drive using winnt.exe but it skips a lot of file.
    Anyother ideas????

If the machine has no option to boot from the cd, it most likey will not support W2K Server.....To old and not enough horsepower.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

If the machine is too old to boot from cdrom, one wonders if the machine is below specification, exactly what specification is this machine?

You can copy all the cabs from the i386 directory on the cd to your existing hard drive (c:\i386) and then run winnt.exe from the dos prompt.

Here is some useful reading for you
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up

Good link, Noonoo!

I prefer to copy the CAB files directly onto the hard disk also, regardless of which OS I'm installing. Prevents a lot of hassles if the CD drive dies later on and you need to install/re-install some features.

I also copy Service Packs, drivers and IE files on the HD, preferably in another partition or on an entirely different disk if possible.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I agree Adept. Copying the source files to the harddrive and installing from there is my preferred method. With Win9x and such it will automatically find the cabs when it needs them rather than prompting for a CD. Hard drive space is cheap now and even on older PCs it is easy to delete the cabs if space gets tight.

Lightbulb Installing W2k

If you need to install from something other than CD, I agree, the system most likely is not capable of the upgrade.
    However, if you chose to be adventurous you can create the necessary 3 boot disks right of off the 2000 CD and boot using these disks.............Then watch it go.

Be Positive & you'll be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, in my opinion, any machine incapable of booting from cd rom should not be used to run w2k srv -regardless of the planned application. Older machines just can't handle it.

During a two semester long MCSE trac, my lab partners and I set up a training domain to fascillitate the labs. We rallied together and produced several machines. Three of which, were older legacy based systems from P100 -P233.

Knowing these boxes were of limited capabilities, we only assigned one task/service to each; e.g., dhcp, rras, and dns. These boxes took close to 15 min. to boot and consistently yielded inconsistent results. Hec, we even burned out the P166!

Basically what I'm saying is: don't depend on an older platform to yield today's demanding results.

But I admit, I don't know the specific needs/details of this proposed configuration! If you feel your machines other subsystems are adequate enough to handle the demands of the OS, then I agree w/ the previous recommendations: copy the I386 folder to your hard drive and go from there.

Depending on whether there is currently an OS installed or not determines the actual installation method.

Additional information on your box, current infrastructure, and overall goal w/ this installation would help us to provide a more accurate solution.