Won't boot after updating drivers

Thread: Won't boot after updating drivers

Won't boot after updating drivers

I just installed the latest drivers for my ATI all in wonder radeon 8500DV and then the record and digital vcr parts of the TV software was missing. I tried to re-install the capture drivers but now my system freezes all the time when i bootat random time even if I try to change the BIOS setting.

What's wrong? How can I fix this?

Thanks

That depends on which OS you have.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I would press F8 while booting to go into safe mode and completely remove all traces of the driver and then reinstall them
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Originally posted by Radical Dreamer
    I would press F8 while booting to go into safe mode and completely remove all traces of the driver and then reinstall them
    Sorry I forgot to mention I had changed BIOS settings and I have Windows XP, I changed them back and it boots properly but still freezes (quite rarely) and says the error is caused by ati2dvag or something like that, and my record button and settings are stiill missing from the TV software.

What's wrong?

Thanks

ati2dvag seems to have issues with xp

Trying turning off write combining, then move on to turning down the hardware acceleration.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    ati2dvag seems to have issues with xp

Trying turning off write combining, then move on to turning down the hardware acceleration.
    What/where is the write combining option?

Right click the desktop, properties, settings, advanced, troubleshoot.

I couldnt find that setting, I ahve XP pro.

BTW someone told me my system is freezing because my 3.3volt reads 3.10 in the hardware monitor, could tha tbe the cause of my problem? I have an Antec 350W PS.

Thanks

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus
    Originally posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    I couldnt find that setting, I ahve XP pro.

BTW someone told me my system is freezing because my 3.3volt reads 3.10 in the hardware monitor, could tha tbe the cause of my problem? I have an Antec 350W PS.

Thanks
    That depends on what motherboard / processor combo you have and how much stuff you got running on that system. But I doubt that that's the problem if you didn't have any problems before attempting the driver upgrade.

When you tried installing the new ATI drivers, did you remove the previous version first and set the video to standard VGA before attempting to update them? ATI really bites it big when writing new drivers, you got to make sure there are no traces of the old drivers left plus set the video card to standard VGA before updating them. If the BIOS setting was fine before the upgrade, I'd set it back to where it was before all this mess. If worse comes to worse, reprogram your system and then install the updated drivers.

I ran into almost the same type of problem when I updated the drivers on my system with the 8500LE. The system would boot once after the update with the desktop all screwed up, I tried to get into control panel to set the refresh rate and I noticed that the advance features were gone to the video card, so then I went to reboot it, and it would boot, but I would just get a black screen. I had to boot into safe-mode and remove all traces of any ATI driver, let the system boot back up and see if I could set the video display adapter to Standard VGA. And that was tricky because my system was running very unstable at the time. But once I was able to do that, I had no problem using the updated drivers.

Good luck
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Thats ATI drivers for ya
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-