Win XP Error upon boot up

Thread: Win XP Error upon boot up

Win XP Error upon boot up

I get this once win XP loads:

Windows has encountered a serious error...blah, blah, blah...

Here are the detials:

BCCode: c0000218 BCP1: E13FC480 BCP2: 00000000
    BCP3: 00000000 BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600
    Product: 256_1

Any ideas on what this could be?, this was a fresh install over a corrupted install.

Thanks
    -----------------------------------
    If all fails....Use a sledgehammer !!

I find nothing for those numbers at all - why was the previous install corrupted?

Have you run a diagnostic on the hard drive and the ram?

Do you have the whole error message?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The previous install all of a sudden would not run. I would turn the computer on and it would get to the Windows XP screen with the blue dots going back and forth and then automatically restart. It would do this continuously. Before this happened all the time I did get the above mentioned error. But that was the extent to what it described it as. There was no BSOD. Just asked you if you wanted to report it or not. I could not go to the recovery console, after the 6th disk when booting from floppies it said to press "R" repair, I did and the machine restarted and would not let me into the recovery console. So I did a new install but to C:\WINXP instead of C:\WINDOWS so I would not lose any data. The install went but I now get that error message again once I boot up and am afraid this restarting thing will once again appear and cause havoc. I replaced the Power Supply, Updated drivers, updated Bios. here are the system specs:
    P4 - 1400 478pin
    ASUS P4B
    ATI Radeon VE daul monitor
    Onboard Sound
    3com NIC Card
    256 SDRAM
    ANTEC 480 True Power PS
    CDROM
    HP CDRW

Can you boot into safe mode and check the event logs?
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

No, can't get into safe mode, the computer stops when loading AGP440.sys then restarts again.

Try booting to the XP cd and get to the repair console. Run a chkdsk /r. That should get you at least into safe mode. I have had good luck with this switch on chkdsk.
    Last edited by DocPC; August 22nd, 2002 at 02:41 PM.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

I spy a radeon ve card?

The ati drivers get stuck in infinite loops... if you "updated" the original xp driver for the ATI one, I would think that is at least part of your problem

I get nice pretty bsod's with any driver for the ve except the xp native driver...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hey Noo Noo - If I use the native XP Drivers, will I still be able to use the two monitors? I have them connected but they both display the same desktop, I use one monitor for the desktop and application and the other for tool bars for my CAD programs.

Is this a seperate piece of software that alows this? If so where can I get it.

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by TheCardMan
    Hey Noo Noo - If I use the native XP Drivers, will I still be able to use the two monitors? I have them connected but they both display the same desktop, I use one monitor for the desktop and application and the other for tool bars for my CAD programs.

Is this a seperate piece of software that alows this? If so where can I get it.

Thanks for your help.

Dual monitor support is supposed to be native in windows... dual monitor on dual head cards seems to be somewhat of a lottery.

here is the windows 2000 article on it - xp should be the same

and here is a site that has lots of useful info about multimonitor support

Originally posted by NooNoo
    I spy a radeon ve card?

The ati drivers get stuck in infinite loops... if you "updated" the original xp driver for the ATI one, I would think that is at least part of your problem

I get nice pretty bsod's with any driver for the ve except the xp native driver...
    <sarcasm> Imagine that! An ATI card has drivers issues!!! Thats imposible!! </sarcasm>
    "The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them." President George W. Bush

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Originally posted by xschmittyx

<sarcasm> Imagine that! An ATI card has drivers issues!!! Thats imposible!! </sarcasm>
    <sarcasm>Well theres a possibility, but its very remote....</sarcasm>
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-