A hypothetical question for NFL fans. - Page 3

View Poll Results: Who should be the Steelers' starting QB?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kordell Stewart

7 38.89%
  • Tommy Maddox

2 11.11%
  • Charlie Batch

1 5.56%
  • The Steelers are morons if they let Tee Martin get away.

2 11.11%
  • Ask Terry Bradshaw to come out of retirement.

6 33.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A hypothetical question for NFL fans.

Talking

this will never happen;maybe in the next ice age
    i like the raiders and they will have a long way now that
    gruden is in tampa bay.not as long as the next ice age---i hope

Internet Linebacker
    Originally posted by Kymera
    You guys really know your football, but it doesn't matter because NY is taking the SuperBowl this year.
    NY? Giants or Jets? If you mean Gaints, no - Philly is gonna own the NFC East this year, no doubt about that. If you mean the Jets...well, no point in even dignifying that with a response.

My picks

Phily Takes NFC East
    Chicago Take NFC North by default (Green Bay lost all their starting receivers, Detroit hasn't had it together for year, and Minnesota may or may not be a force...hard to say)
    New Orleans takes NFC South
    San Franciso takes NFC West

Rams & Vikes take Wild Card spots.

Miami wins AFC East
    Pittsburgh wins AFC North, again by default (Ravens lost most of their team to the cap, Bengals & Browns just aren't quite there yet)
    Tenessee takes AFC South
    Raider take AFC West (Gruden or not, they still got the talent there).

Patriots &....I'm gonna say the Broncos take the wild card spots.

Not even gonna bother trying to predict a super bowl winner. Way too many x factors between now & the end of the season.

Yeah, I was talking about the Jokes . . er, Jets.

No seriously, Philly has a good chance, but for some reason I see injury really hurting their chances, hence my NY pick. But then again I pick NY for everything.
    end of line.

Originally posted by Cobra Tha Funky Homo Sapien

Bledsoe's ability aside, he definately wouldn't work with a team like the Steelers. They play a very smash mouth, clock-grinding running game & a hard nosed defense, and I don't think his style would bring anything to the table. I just can't see making the necessary cap adjustments to accomodate him, and have to give up half of the starting defense to get him. A team like the Bills on the other hand definately got a good deal with him. He's still a great QB and has a few good years left in him most likely. Plus he used to play for one of their biggest division rivals. That's always a bonus.
    Yeah, they need a more smash mouth QB, someone like... Kordell Stewart.
    Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.

NY? Giants or Jets? If you mean Gaints, no - Philly is gonna own the NFC East this year, no doubt about that. If you mean the Jets...well, no point in even dignifying that with a response.

My picks

Phily Takes NFC East
    Chicago Take NFC North by default (Green Bay lost all their starting receivers, Detroit hasn't had it together for year, and Minnesota may or may not be a force...hard to say)
    New Orleans takes NFC South
    San Franciso takes NFC West

Rams & Vikes take Wild Card spots.
    I see Washington’s Fun & Gun taking the East and I’m going with Green Bay for the North. True GB lost it’s starting receivers, however, they got Terry Glenn, admittedly he has problems, but when he plays, he one of the best wideouts around. Receivers don’t make the QB, QBs make the Receivers. With a healthy BF at QB, GB will win, the North at least. Washington seems like this years Rams…TDs TDs and more TDs…who needs a defense when you can double your opponent’s score?? And Washington just may have the D to back up their O. I also see TB taking the South. Say what you will of Gruden, but he’s got the offensive mind to pull TB into the playoff, not that I think he’ll win a SB. Look how the Raiders faded at the end of the season the last two years. I think TB will tire of Gruden’s Boot Camp antics…And I take the Rams for the West. SF’s Defense will not overcome the Rams TD oriented offense.

Philly and the Vikings will take the wildcard spots..

Miami wins AFC East
    Pittsburgh wins AFC North, again by default (Ravens lost most of their team to the cap, Bengals & Browns just aren't quite there yet)
    Tenessee takes AFC South
    Raider take AFC West (Gruden or not, they still got the talent there).

Patriots &....I'm gonna say the Broncos take the wild card spots.

Not even gonna bother trying to predict a super bowl winner. Way too many x factors between now & the end of the season.
    I pick Buffalo because they get revitalized under Bledsoe. Pitt takes the North. Tennessee will win the South and my Raiders will take the west. For Wildcards it’s going to be Cleveland and Miami. The Browns get their running game on track to make a playoff appearance but that’s it. Miami lasts a bit longer but will eventually lose out like they’ve done the last few years, CHOKE!!! Denver will do nothing. They are going to rely on a rookie RB hoping to be the next TD…wont work…also As much as I like Wolverines, Griese sucks. I see SD finishing better than Denver this year with KC bringing up the rear.

and with f-ing NE winning the Super Bowl last year, I am not going to predict a SB winner...
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Internet Linebacker
    Originally posted by Lycia
    I see Washington’s Fun & Gun taking the East... Washington seems like this years Rams…TDs TDs and more TDs…who needs a defense when you can double your opponent’s score?? And Washington just may have the D to back up their O.
    I have my doubts about Spurrier & his fun & gun offense. Sure it's banged up lots of points in preseason, but that's been mainly against 2nd & 3rd stringers and guys that are prolly gonna be flipping burgers come September 1st. Like their game against Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh's starting defense totally spanked them and they barely moved the ball. They didn't get it moving any at all until the 2nd team game in, then it finally opened up all the way for them against the scrubs that most likely won't make the team.

Plus, Spurrier seems to have forsaken the fact that he's got a hell of a running back on his team in Stephen Davis. I'd definately make him a bigger part of the offense then he has so far. Fun & Gun could maybe work in the NFL...but not with any of the QBs the skins have now. I seriously don't think any of them would be starting anywhere else in the NFL.

Washington's defense on the other hand is the real deal. Levar Arringon is one of the meanest, toughest LBs this side of Ray Lewis, and Champ Bailey is one of the best DBs I've ever had the pleasure of watching in action.

The main reason I say Denver makes a playoff appearance is due to Shannon Sharpe. I don't like him, but he is probably the best receiving tight end in the league now, and might just add that layer of depth Denver's passing game has been missing since...well, since he went to Baltimore years ago. But again, I say if they get in at all, it'll be just barely.

The Bills I'm not so sure about. I think it'll take them all season just to get their barings straight with Bledsoe at the helm. I say they go 8-8 or 9-7 at best, just barely missing the playoffs.

I have my doubts about Spurrier & his fun & gun offense. Sure it's banged up lots of points in preseason, but that's been mainly against 2nd & 3rd stringers and guys that are prolly gonna be flipping burgers come September 1st. Like their game against Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh's starting defense totally spanked them and they barely moved the ball. They didn't get it moving any at all until the 2nd team game in, then it finally opened up all the way for them against the scrubs that most likely won't make the team.

Plus, Spurrier seems to have forsaken the fact that he's got a hell of a running back on his team in Stephen Davis. I'd definately make him a bigger part of the offense then he has so far. Fun & Gun could maybe work in the NFL...but not with any of the QBs the skins have now. I seriously don't think any of them would be starting anywhere else in the NFL.

Washington's defense on the other hand is the real deal. Levar Arringon is one of the meanest, toughest LBs this side of Ray Lewis, and Champ Bailey is one of the best DBs I've ever had the pleasure of watching in action.

The main reason I say Denver makes a playoff appearance is due to Shannon Sharpe. I don't like him, but he is probably the best receiving tight end in the league now, and might just add that layer of depth Denver's passing game has been missing since...well, since he went to Baltimore years ago. But again, I say if they get in at all, it'll be just barely.

The Bills I'm not so sure about. I think it'll take them all season just to get their barings straight with Bledsoe at the helm. I say they go 8-8 or 9-7 at best, just barely missing the playoffs.
    Spurrior's Fun & gun will work, you only have to look as far as the Rams. Sure you can stymie it it, such as the rams superbowl loss to the farking Pats...

AS for Denver, having the best tight end, which he is, will not help, they still have Griese as QB...
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

Put in that context, I agree with you, Bledsoe wouldn't work with the steelers very well...
    You guys really don't think he'd fit with the Steelers? Isn't Bledsoe a 'stand in the pocket' kind of QB? He seems more Steeler than Kordell and is much more talented than any of the other crew backing Stewart up...

Internet Linebacker
    Originally posted by kingtbone

You guys really don't think he'd fit with the Steelers? Isn't Bledsoe a 'stand in the pocket' kind of QB? He seems more Steeler than Kordell and is much more talented than any of the other crew backing Stewart up...
    MAYBE he could, but again, at what cost? Bledsoe doesn't come cheap. Nore does Jerome Bettis, Jason Gildon, Joey Porter, Kendrell Bell, etc...all elements couldn't fit under the cap. :\ At that rate, I'd rather have Maddox or Batch throwing if we've got to air the ball out.

Yeah, he was clearly unaffordable, but I think his style was a pretty good fit with that squad. He was a gritty guy with a cannon and a decent brain in his head. His wheels were never around, though.

Originally posted by kingtbone
    Yeah, he was clearly unaffordable, but I think his style was a pretty good fit with that squad. He was a gritty guy with a cannon and a decent brain in his head. His wheels were never around, though.
    With the QBs that Cowher has, I doubt his system is QB freindly. And Cobra would know more about the steelers than I would, but it seems to me that the current Crop of QBs in steeler land aren't too bright. For the last few years it seems Cowher has been trying to model his offense around his not to brite QB in Stewart. Bledsoe is a smart QB. I doubt he'd hit it off with Cowher's hands on approach..
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

Internet Linebacker
    As embarrassing as it is to admit that the Pittsburgh offense is basically worked around an idiot, Lycia's pretty much nailed it.

Kordell succeeds when he can do 3 things - 1)be able to complete passes without having to read a defense. 2)Hand the ball off to Bettis or whoever happens to be in the backfield or 3) step up and run himself.

All of Kordell's problems are based around his lack of reading ability. In fact, his lack of reading is why Hines Ward & Plaxico Burress were the first two Steelers to reach 1000 yards receiving in franchise history in the same season. Kordell can barely get by when he has to deal with 2 receivers. Even when he did well last year, you'd see a lot of games where Bobby Shaw (his slot receiver at the time) would be wide open, but Kordell would totallly miss it. That's why he never looks to his tight ends. At most, Kordell can work with 2 receivers, and/or an occassional screen. Whenever you see 3 or more WRs on the field in a Steeler game, at least one of them is a decoy...

Tee Martin's even dumber than Kordell. Batch I'm not sure of, he seems more competant than Kordell at the very least, maybe at Maddox's level.

Maddox seems to be the smartest QB in the Steelers line-up, followed by Batch. Supposedly, he's been helping Kordell with his reads in practice even. And with him being used to the faster pace of Arena League, he can spot the "little things" here and there that'll slip right by Kordell. To be honest, I think Maddox is definately Cowher's Plan B. Cowher seems determined to make Kordell a Super Bowl-winning QB - but he also knows that Dan Rooney sunk a lot of money into keeping the team together, and he's not going to settle for anything less than the Lombardi trophy this year. If Cowher doesn't take them to the big game and win it, he'll probably be out of a job. Maddox is his insurance policy, who has experience in championship games (I know it was only the XFL, but still...he's got leadership) in case Kordell starts playing poorly/inconsistently.

Bledsoe could definately do everything Maddox can do and then some. But again, at a much higher price, and the possibility of not working well in Mike Malaurkey's Quarterbacking for Dummies system.

As embarrassing as it is to admit that the Pittsburgh offense is basically worked around an idiot, Lycia's pretty much nailed it.

Kordell succeeds when he can do 3 things - 1)be able to complete passes without having to read a defense. 2)Hand the ball off to Bettis or whoever happens to be in the backfield or 3) step up and run himself.

All of Kordell's problems are based around his lack of reading ability. In fact, his lack of reading is why Hines Ward & Plaxico Burress were the first two Steelers to reach 1000 yards receiving in franchise history in the same season. Kordell can barely get by when he has to deal with 2 receivers. Even when he did well last year, you'd see a lot of games where Bobby Shaw (his slot receiver at the time) would be wide open, but Kordell would totallly miss it. That's why he never looks to his tight ends. At most, Kordell can work with 2 receivers, and/or an occassional screen. Whenever you see 3 or more WRs on the field in a Steeler game, at least one of them is a decoy...

Tee Martin's even dumber than Kordell. Batch I'm not sure of, he seems more competant than Kordell at the very least, maybe at Maddox's level.

Maddox seems to be the smartest QB in the Steelers line-up, followed by Batch. Supposedly, he's been helping Kordell with his reads in practice even. And with him being used to the faster pace of Arena League, he can spot the "little things" here and there that'll slip right by Kordell. To be honest, I think Maddox is definately Cowher's Plan B. Cowher seems determined to make Kordell a Super Bowl-winning QB - but he also knows that Dan Rooney sunk a lot of money into keeping the team together, and he's not going to settle for anything less than the Lombardi trophy this year. If Cowher doesn't take them to the big game and win it, he'll probably be out of a job. Maddox is his insurance policy, who has experience in championship games (I know it was only the XFL, but still...he's got leadership) in case Kordell starts playing poorly/inconsistently.

Bledsoe could definately do everything Maddox can do and then some. But again, at a much higher price, and the possibility of not working well in Mike Malaurkey's Quarterbacking for Dummies system.
    The only problem I see with this theory is that it's based on relying on Tommy Maddox as the QB to bring them to a SB!! Maddox in his 5 years, first with Denver, then NYG, hasn't shown he can do anything other than to be the clipboard holder/Backup QB. Maybe his time in the Arena League will have changed him...look at Kurt Warner....then again maybe not...but I sure as hell would not be pinning my chances on any of these three QBs..

Is Tee Martin their Draft Pick? if not, did they draft a QB?? If they have a rookie, I'd do what the 49ers did with montana, let him do mop up duty or bring him in when the games already decided one way or the other and forget about a championship season at least for a year...not likely to happen though...
    Last edited by Lycia; August 27th, 2002 at 05:35 PM.
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

Internet Linebacker

The only problem I see with this theory is that it's based on relying on Tommy Maddox as the QB to bring them to a SB!! Maddox in his 5 years, first with Denver, then NYG, hasn't shown he can do anything other than to be the clipboard holder/Backup QB. Maybe his time in the Arena League will have changed him...look at Kurt Warner....then again maybe not...but I sure as hell would not be pinning my chances on any of these three QBs..

Is Tee Martin their Draft Pick? if not, did they draft a QB?? If they have a rookie, I'd do what the 49ers did with montana, let him do mop up duty or bring him in when the games already decided one way or the other and forget about a championship season at least for a year...not likely to happen though...
    I faintly remember Maddox sucking big time when he was drafted by Denver a while back. IMO, he's stepped up his game big time in the Arena League & XFL. He's clearly been the most consistent of the three in practice & in pre-season, Cowher heaps praise upon him, and the offensive unit seems to be comfortable with him, and he understands the system really well. And as I said, he does have experience in leading a team to a championship, for whatever the XFL Championship is worth. He's no Warner, Gannon or Montana, but I think he'd be best suited to get the job done. Still, it's close between him and batch.

Tee Martin's been with the team for about 3 or 4 seasons now. Cowher drafted him cuz he "reminded him of Kordell" - meaning he's athletic, but he really doesn't have the head to play QB. Take all of Kordell's problems & miscues, multiply them by 5, and you've got Tee Martin. In fact, he believe he was the last QB they drafted. Antwaan Randle El played QB at Indiana, but they drafted him with the intentions of being a reciever only.

Of course, Kordell might just make something out of himself this season and prove me wrong. But with the runnin game looking less than sharp, and the always questionable Steelers' special teams, I really don't feel comfortable with the game being in his hands.

Oh, and one last note, in regards to Maddox being capable of leading the team to the Super Bowl. Three words - Warner, Dilfer, Brady. Did any of them seem like QBs that would lead their team to a SB at the start of their respective SB seasons?
    Last edited by Cobra Tha Funky Homo Sapien; August 27th, 2002 at 07:56 PM.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    I think Maddox's problem stems from the fact he was way too young when he came out of UCLA (after his sophmore season). Here was a guy slated as the heir apparent to the great John Elway. He was beat out by a gritty Brian Griese and that has to play on his mind.
    Tee Martin's legacy was that he accomplished what Peyton Manning never could. Bring the MNC to Knoxville.
    If your looking for a big guy with a major gun to fling the ball down the field there is always Jim Druckenmiller, is he still with Miami? I know he had a short stint with the Arena League. Could be a major star in the making . I mean a wash out with SF and Miami, he's a PA boy could make it big with the Steelers.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.