Clearing a 169.x.x.x ip address

Thread: Clearing a 169.x.x.x ip address

Clearing a 169.x.x.x ip address

In Windows 95/98/M.E., what's the best way to dump a 169.x.x.x. ip address, so you can acquire a routable ip address with the use of a cable modem?

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Attach it via network cable to a network with a DHCP server...

169.x.x.x is the default IP address a NIC gets when it can't get an IP address from a DHCP server and doesn't have a static IP already assigned to it.

If you've already got it plugged into the ISP's cable modem and aren't able to grab an IP, try replacing the cable. If that doesn't work you'll probably have to contact the ISP's tech support.
    WWBRD?

What he said, plus you want to make sure to reboot the machine...doing a WinIPCFG release/renew sometimes locks up the machine...a reboot is the best way (IMHO) to snag a DHCP IP...

Most cable modems will assign a 192.168.100.xxx address to your computer if you replaced a NIC and did not reset your Cable modem.

When you get the AIPA (169.254.x.x) address range it means that a DHCP server was not available.

since you use cable it should have DHCP activated by default (unless it uses static IPs) and therefore you should first make sure that you have physical connection between your Cable modem and your computer.

The main reason why I posted this thread is because I work at an i.s.p., and I was wondering if there were any other methods for clearing a 169.x.x.x ip address. Most of the time, I only receive these calls from Windows M.E. users, and it's a pain to remedy this problem. I was hoping that there might other ways to rectify the problem, or if there's any special relationship between Windows M.E. and 169.x.x.x ip address issues.

In conclusion, 169.x.x.x. ip addresses are only assigned to the nic if it can't communicate with the DHCP server.
    Last edited by Ronin; August 25th, 2002 at 11:17 AM.

Originally posted by Ronin
    rgwyr5y54y q34tgg2134g
    And WTF is that?
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

The garble you see on that message was my German Shepherd's attempt to compose a message.

While I was on the phone, he opted to play with the keyboard. Smart dog, eh?

if everything that was posted above doesn't work go to the Dos prompt and type "ipconfig /release_all" then "ipconfig /renew_all" and it should grab an ip from the DHCP server
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

resetting the modem by pushing the end of a paperclip into the pinhole on the back of the modem did it for me just a couple days ago...(see crazyman's post). i tried for 2 days to resolve this and that is what finally worked...just unplugging the power to the modem didnt do it.

Re: Clearing a 169.x.x.x ip address

In Windows 95/98/M.E., what's the best way to dump a 169.x.x.x. ip address, so you can acquire a routable ip address with the use of a cable modem?
    two ways..

1. get a win98 CD(me/95 do NOT have it... also, the file is NOT located in the cabs folder, so an original CD IS needed) and search for the IPAC_OFF.inf file. right click on it and choose isntall... reboot. Voila!, never see a 169 again.

2. remove TCP/IP and restart the PC, reinstall TCP/IP and reboot again.

Contrary to popular belief all the 9x operating system will hold on to IP address from time to time on reboot. I see this all the time at work, people call in, can't connect, they have a valide IP address, but when checking the ARP enteries, no IP, R/R (release/renew) Fixes it in a flash. The problem with 169 is that it CAN'T be released.. if you have it, pray you don't have a stale IP.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

That's exactly what it is supposed to do.

This scheme was reserved by Microsoft so Peer-To-Peer file sharing would continue to work over IP on small networks that had no other need for TCP/IP other than file sharing.

It's the default that is used when no DHCP Server is found and the system is not running static IP's.

I don't see a problem, unless I'm missing something.

TL

The main reason why I posted this thread is because I work at an i.s.p., and I was wondering if there were any other methods for clearing a 169.x.x.x ip address. Most of the time, I only receive these calls from Windows M.E. users, and it's a pain to remedy this problem. I was hoping that there might other ways to rectify the problem, or if there's any special relationship between Windows M.E. and 169.x.x.x ip address issues.

In conclusion, 169.x.x.x. ip addresses are only assigned to the nic if it can't communicate with the DHCP server.

What quality of tools do you have for you job? for us (I also currently work at an ISP) we can see if discover/offer/request/ack packets get sent. By seeing what comes and go's we can usualy tell if it's a stale IP address. if it's stale (meaning stucik) then the only fix for Me is to reinstall the TCP/IP protocol. Oursleves, we have placed the IPAC off file on our software CD, and if it's there, saves a ton of time.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

What does the IPAC file do?