Corrupt System Files

Thread: Corrupt System Files

Corrupt System Files

Having a problem with a laptop running XP Home. In a few areas: User Accounts Control Panel, the Services Control Panel, the Search Files/Folders, and even if you try to go to the Windows Update site or the Office Product Update site, the pages display blank. They have the correct titles, and the navigation buttons work, but the pages themselves do not display.

I've already checked the laptop for viruses (definitions dated 8/22/02), and nothing has come up. The user doesn't know of anything they might have done to cause this behavior, and I'm stumped.

I'm beginning to think it may be a corrupt file(s), but SFC doesn't find anything wrong.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

How high are your security settings? ActiveX needs to be set to promopt and you may also be lacking java... see this thread for java sun or ms
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I did try to download and install java right from sun.com, and I followed the MS KB articles to change the registry settings to allow a reinstall of IE 6, and set the security privacy settings to low/off. Nothing seems to be working yet.

It does seem strange that everything else works.....other web pages, office applications, etc. Just those few control panel/web pages. Annoying, yes. Can they live with it, if the only answer is reinstalling the laptop software (from Toshiba) absolutely.

Thanks for the help!!!

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."