someone needs to die....

Thread: someone needs to die....

someone needs to die....

Lemme set this up.

Just recently we updated our email system and got the spiffy web outlook with the applets and activeX controls -- real slick. For everyone to be able to get to them, they had to run a MDAC update and an XML update. Well, as usual some stupid users 'couldn't download them' or 'the page isn't there' etc etc etc.

I took it upon myself to ship out CDs to all the facilities so they didn't have to download them. I also included some instructions on how to install the updates necessary to get their email....

I let the helpdesk manager know I was doing this so I didn't have to call each place and listen to them gripe and whine about how 'nothing ever works' and told them I was going to send a some quick instructions -- exactly as stated below...

Email update disk

Inside are the updates necessary for the new email system. The instructions <admin> sent still apply— run the MDAC-261.exe first, reboot when prompted and then run the MSxml3SP3.exe.

If you have problems running the second update, please run the installer2.exe included on the CD. This will update windows installer and allow the installation of the MSxml3SP3 update.

IF YOU ARE RUNNING WINDOWS 95 – please run the dx80w95.exe, you will be required to reboot after running the installation.
    Myself, being a good tech, also sent this to the helpdesk to let 'em know hey, this is what this says.

I get this email today...

(me) - We are receiving calls from sites who received the CD you sent out. They don't know what to do with it. (person1) and (person2) are reopening these calls so you will see them in track-it.

Just wanted to let you know why these calls are being reopened.

(manager1)
    So I reply back bascially saying - you knew this was coming, they recieved instructions, what else do you want? I get this back.

I understand that, but they either don't get it or they don't know which email it's referring too (they've had quite a few from (admin) in the last couple weeks.) it might also be confusing them that the email refers to downloading and we want them to pull the files off the cd.

Bottom line is they don't know what to do to in order to complete the update, so the calls aren't closed.

(manager1)
    ...how do I tell her to do her job??

Well I thought about this and came up with some, err, interesting methods, but in order to keep your job I think possibly sending the help desk their own copy of the cd with the instructions (again) and requesting that they "help" the users upgrade?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

In casses of utter dumb butts.. you need to have autorun configured.. and a label on the CD saying.. put this in to fix your problems..

I know its frustrated.. i feel it

Angry and the morons continue to be sheltered and protected

I can only tolerate so much ...and this is pushing that limit

a few days ago I had to do an xp install on two computers, both sleighted to take about 2 - 2 1/2 hours because they're slower computers (like p3 450s with 64 megs of ram) -- but I saw it coming, so its all good....

Well, the installs took 3 1/2 hours -- and I barely got the essentials in (office, pcanywhere) and I left the place at 9:15 ...not happy, but they had the bare minimum.

The next day (please keep in mind, this is the helpdesk) they can't open acrobat documents, I can't open zip files.... duh, install it, its on our servers. Then the icing on the cake -- my |only they use| program isn't installed and it had some special stuff on it..............

I'm goin insane now -- for one, you didn't tell me that, two, not my fault you don't have those settings. So who's getting blamed? of course, me.

At what point do you slap 'em upside the head and tell 'em to quit their bitchin' and do their job?

A way round it may be to draft a letter advising that all future work carried out by yourself and your department will be where possible posted to them prior to the work being carried out.
    It will be up to them individually to inform you via support and [underlined] "reasonable ahead of time of any software or peripheral support that is not on the list that will be required".
    That any personnel requests on the installation date will where possible be done but are not gaurateed due to your departments workload and other time factors involved.

Just a thought

sounds like there is a road trip in your future.
    It's good to be the King.

Banned
    Sounds like my boss and this manager need to get together and go bowling.

Seriously, I can everything spelled out perfectly, and these people will complain. Then my boss, being my boss, will never back me up, yell at me for not being thorough enough, and say that I should have done it my self, while not wanting me to work over time. And the coworker, well lets not even go there.

Keep up a smile, know that you are better, grab a beer, kiss a good lookin girlie, and just make sure that you have fun with whatever else you do.

Flex your muscles a little.

Write up a proposal on how much money and time you could save by firing a couple help desk people and implementing SMS. With SMS you could roll out your software updates automatically (and have the option of rollbacks) plus, remote control of the users machine is soo much more timely.

If nothing else you will scare the help desk people into getting off their a$$es. Why is it that most people don't know the meaning of initiative? I've dealt with a number of techs, just in the last month, who's primary mindset is "how little can I do?" or "that's not my job" instead of "how can I get the job done?"
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Re: Flex your muscles a little.

Originally posted by silencio
    Write up a proposal on how much money and time you could save by firing a couple help desk people and implementing SMS. With SMS you could roll out your software updates automatically (and have the option of rollbacks) plus, remote control of the users machine is soo much more timely.

If nothing else you will scare the help desk people into getting off their a$$es. Why is it that most people don't know the meaning of initiative? I've dealt with a number of techs, just in the last month, who's primary mindset is "how little can I do?" or "that's not my job" instead of "how can I get the job done?"
    I like it.

SMS.

Go for it - we had 3 helpdesk techs supporting 600+ workstations (about 900 users) with this. Just the ROI will make the bosses drool.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Something I don't think I've seen discussed here is ...

I've run across more than a few customers who simply don't want read and follow the directions.

Some are overtly hostile about it and will tell you that they expect you to walk them through a routine. Others feel like they really don't have time to do it themselves. And yet others are firmly convinced they know nothing about computers and will prove that to themselves time and time again by not reading instructions and/or labelling something "broken" if the methods described fall outside of the user's experience.

It's frustrating -- really frustrating. This is compounded when the person-in-charge doesn't side with the person who wrote the instructions.

I try to keep myself positive about it. I do tailor my methods. I have one customer who will not read anything I send her. So, I always work in front of her. I never do anything over the phone or e-mail. She won't do it.

In my OWN business, I will only work for the unreasonable customer once. Life's too short...

You might not have that luxury and I feel your pain, but I just thought I'd put in my two cents.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Banned

Re: Flex your muscles a little.

Fine and dandy, but there are many reasons techs just stop caring. You constantly hit walls with management and coworkers who think you are an idiot until you prove them wrong time and time again. Yet they still never let you implement anything. You know you could run the place by yourself, yet you have to put up with all the BS of an incompetent coworker(s) and boss.

That and 90% of the job is reactionary and that is the hardest thing to explain to exec's or a boss that wants to see you working. Well sorry, my junk is working, nobody in the office needs me, you won't let me make the changes I would like to make, so I will sit here and wait until somebody brakes something and chances are it will be you mister(ms) know it all manager/exec type.

That and if I have anymore freaking users blatantly lie to me this week I, I, I, I

Originally posted by King Grover
    sounds like there is a road trip in your future.
    the next road trip I take, I'm not comin' back! and I'm not kiddin either -- I wanna move out to Arizona, Ohio SUCKS. hehe, any one know of any job openings in AZ around Feb?

I wish we could, but for one, we have a LOT of field computers with 56k modems...if that. Second, our remote control is currently using pcanywhere (egh).

Originally posted by Cleetus
    Fine and dandy, but there are many reasons techs just stop caring. You constantly hit walls with management and coworkers who think you are an idiot until you prove them wrong time and time again. Yet they still never let you implement anything. You know you could run the place by yourself, yet you have to put up with all the BS of an incompetent coworker(s) and boss.
    I'll say the group of people I work with are sharp. VERY sharp. My boss does understand, and so does the other guys, but there's "nothing" we can do. Everytime we do bitch about how they do NOT do their job, the big man above us just can't (won't) see it -- and its only gettin worse....

here at my work we have diffrent sections that do diffrent things. When a new user comes in they send a help dek ticket to use with the full name and what they need on there computer..

So we setup the user accounts and build a system, and install all the software they need.

We dont have users install software on there machines. They just downlaod alot of crap and instal it. We also limit the use of internet to certain people. right now there is only 100 users with internet out of 350.

We have alot of software on our servers, so if the user nees somthing they send a ticket and I go out and install the application.

thats just one of the things I do.

Try ppt

This may be overly simple, but for my helpdesk guys i do a powerpoint which shown each screen in the install process starting with "double-click My Computer". I put bubble captions for each screen/step on the screen itself so the helpdesk tech can relay the each step with the correct screen/field. I set the ppt to launch in slide show view so all they have to do is click to go to the next step.

For the "technically challenged" helpdesk tech (what a friggin joke these people even have a job), I print a hard copy and mail it to them.

For the really complicated installs I will do an online demo/training session. A one hour presentation could save you 20-30 of headaches and whiny users.

My next creation is to animate the installs in Flash using some goofy cartoon character like Yosemite Sam to demonstrate the installation.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.