Weird PC Deaths
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weird PC Deaths

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Weird PC Deaths

Had an aunt of mine call me up to come take a look at her pc, got there to take a look and noticed that some parts inside were starting to rust, come to find out her chihuaha had pissed on the front of the thing and hadnt worked since....she for some reason thought that I could fix it without new parts

Whats the weirdest death you've seen with a machine?
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Cat piss in the power supply ...

PEEEWWWWW!
    Last edited by -Senectus-; September 12th, 2002 at 12:42 AM.
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    Shot

I also like the NEC that came in a while back. As soon as I turned it on, thick black smoke started blowing out of it. I pulled the CPU (Pentium MMX) and the plastic on the bottom of it was melted off. There was black goo on the MB in the CPU socket. What was really bad is that her "Authorized NEC repair center" had had it for 2 weeks and said they couldn't figure out what the problem was.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

A 300 celeron was shut down and refused point blank to power up again... New mobo, proc was ok, new vid, new psu, new nic....

It had been working fine till the shut down... eventually after some discussion there had been a lightening strike 2 weeks previously which would produce that kind of effect, but how the hell did it work for 2 weeks and then just die quietly, I will never know..
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Funniest death of a monitor was last week, when a friend got his shotgun and blew it to pieces.

Strangest death of a machine though was when a guy bought a brand new PC from me, took it out to his truck, insisted on leaving it out of the cardboard box (cause a cardboard box just isn't cool or something i suppose) and assuring me that everything would be fine, then throwing it in the back of his truck on top of a pile of junk. So the guy drives off and comes back less than 5 minutes later, with the plasic front smashed to pieces and the case destroyed. Almost every component inside, except for the video card was broken in one way or another.
    The funny thing was is that he actually demanded his money back, which he didn't get.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Originally posted by FatalException0E
    I also like the NEC that came in a while back. As soon as I turned it on, thick black smoke started blowing out of it...
    I've had that in a Compaq, followed by flames. I never did work out why. Maybe I'll go up to the place we used as an office and fish it out of the pond one day, just to find out.

Actually... It's been 3 years... Better not

Customer was really good about it actually, didn't blame us at all.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Wasn't a real machine death, more of a virtual one...Had a customer bring in her machine, complaining that her ex had broken into her house and broken her computer (that does seem to happen frequently in reality). She said it didn't work at all, and, sure enough, when you shook it..sounded like a quart or two of broken glass rattling around in there. When we opened it up, we found an entire case full of sunflower seeds..evidently deposited through the slots by a mouse or two visiting her bird feeder. Machine worked fine after being emptied out.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Actually this is a weird pc non-death. Customers cat( small lion?) knocked the pc off a 4 1/2 foot desk. Cracked virtually all the plastic, bent the case metal. Hard drive holder actually came out and dropped the hard drive to the bottom of the case.
    When I got it it was DOA. Reconnected all cables and it worked. Hard drive did not even develop a bad sector. BTW, noticeable crack in video card pcb yet it still worked!

Originally posted by techs
    ...BTW, noticeable crack in video card pcb yet it still worked!
    hmmm.....maybe my old TCNS card with the burn marks in it will still work.....

Quick quiz: Anyone else know what TCNS is/was?
    || |||| | |||| |||

I recently found out what happens when industrial grade fertilizer gets into an HP pavilion laptop. It was doing a great job of dissolving the aluminum HDD holder, lead traces, and the pcb. That one was sent to me as "won't post, please repair under warrenty." I think not.

~Chris

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Fertiliser = Organophospahate right?

Damn lucky there wasn't a source of ignition....
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

I don't know for sure which type it was but my boss was glad that "an experienced" tech looked at it. Ie I looked at it and knew to wear gloves and such. Some of the people I work with would have just dug in had chemical burns an hour later.

~Chris

Originally posted by FatalException0E

hmmm.....maybe my old TCNS card with the burn marks in it will still work.....

Quick quiz: Anyone else know what TCNS is/was?
    EISA Fiber card (or other NIC) from Thomas Conrad?

How did that get burn marks?!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Just a couple weeks ago my power supply slipped into a 'deep sleep' over night..

nothing else went... it went quietly into the night.... i thought it was wierd.(no storms at all!)

Originally posted by a d e p t

EISA Fiber card (or other NIC) from Thomas Conrad?

How did that get burn marks?!
    adept gets the cookie!

Actually this one is an 8bit ISA card. I don't know how it got the burns. I found it in a bin at the computer store I used to work at after they went out of business. I haven't been in the field long enought to have supported TCNS. The strange thing is, the computer shop had only been around since about '96 or so. I thought TCNS was pretty much gone by then.
    || |||| | |||| |||