XBOX + laptop + portable fun???

Thread: XBOX + laptop + portable fun???

XBOX + laptop + portable fun???

Hey guys..it's been a while since i posted here..so i am not sure if this is even in the right section. but here it goes.

I have an XBOX that i love very much.
    I have an old laptop that i got for free.(Pentium 120MHz,24mb ram, 1.2gb hard drive)

i would like to use the laptop screen as a portable monitor for my xbox...is there any way i can do this? THere is no video input on the laptop, nor is there any USB ports. I know this would probably be a tricky project, but is there a way to do it? if so, anyone know where i can get instructions?

i don't care if i have to remove the screen and solder stuff to make it work, like i said the laptop was free and it is too old to do much with.

the laptop is a Gateway SOLO 2100
    if that helps at all
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Sorry for the double post ..but i am not sure if i made myself clear the first time. I am not looking for ways to hard wire this into the xbox or anything like that. What i really want to do is convert the laptop screen into a regular PC monitor. I could then use the xbox VGA adapter to connect it.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

YOu already answered the question yourself. Since the laptop does NOT have any "in" capability, such as a s-video or RCA plug, then NO, you can't!

And wasn't this already asked before???

Bottom line, you cannot use the laptop you have as a monitor for your xbox.

As for wiring the laptop screen and soldering it, maybe it was possible, but I wouldn't know where you would begin...
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Of course you can

Hi there !!

In no way am i able to help as HOW to plug this thing, but it CAN be done.

You mentionned in your post that you could use the Xbox's VGA output, wich is basicly the way the LCD is connected to the PC. (Using a std composite RCA video signal would probably have been tougher)

It really is just a question of knowing the pins, limitations, requirements of the LCD alone, then you can use your imagination to feed data and power in various ways to your LCD.

Guiding you in how it could be done, check out this guy who seems to connect small LCD's to every console there is !! hehe

http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/

Good luck and i hope you have fun !!!
    Due to financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.

--The direction

If the laptop is in working order, just find you a pc card tv tuner with rca inputs You could load win 98 to handle the drivers.

Or better yet sell the thing on ebay for 200-300 bucks (or whatever you can get for it) and buy a portable lcd screen.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

wow, this post is from 2002. I pretty much gave up on this, i dont really have the need to do this anymore..if i want portable gaming..i'll take my dlp projector

Quote Originally Posted by delmer_1
    wow, this post is from 2002. I pretty much gave up on this, i dont really have the need to do this anymore..if i want portable gaming..i'll take my dlp projector
    Holy crap batman your right!!! I hadn't even noticed the date!!! LOL

IT'S ALIVE!!
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    Holy crap batman your right!!! I hadn't even noticed the date!!! LOL

IT'S ALIVE!!
    Let me guess, you looked at "similar threads"
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by FatalException0E
    Let me guess, you looked at "similar threads"
    Nope I just posted a reply cause it was at the top of the list.

yeah, GHSTECH is the guilty party here for bringing this one up.

Quote Originally Posted by delmer_1
    yeah, GHSTECH is the guilty party here for bringing this one up.
    Where are the tar and feathers again?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

a pirate walks into a bar, and the bartender notices that there is a ships wheel in the pirate's pants. At first the 'tender decides to not ask, but after a couple hours of the pirate walking around and talking to people, he couldn't help himself. So he walked up and asked the pirate what the deal was. The pirate simply said "Arrr....drives me nuts".
    If you think your hate your life now, just think, it's obviously not over...