Stickyed Windrivers Game server thread

Thread: Stickyed Windrivers Game server thread

Stickyed Windrivers Game server thread

I've seen in other forums how threads can be stickyed to help pass along important info. Was just thinking that we could have something similar here to list the addys of WD run game servers.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

forum leaders (mods or Scott) have that ability. just ask, and usually it shall be done.

Originally posted by Damned Angel
    forum leaders (mods or Scott) have that ability. just ask, and usually it shall be done.
    Didn't really express myself well enough, but now that that cold medicine (that im pretty sure is expired) has worn off a bit I can elaborate.

A server list would be nice, but participation would kinda be the key issue. I personally will be building a dedicated box in the next month or so for UT and whatever else floats my boat, and Milenko has run a Quake3 server before, but if thats it, there is almost no point.

Kinda meant for anyone willing to run a box for any game under the sun to chime in, and if there is enough support, create a sticky thread that has an oft-updated list of the various servers run by us.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Originally posted by jaeger

Didn't really express myself well enough, but now that that cold medicine (that im pretty sure is expired) has worn off a bit I can elaborate.

A server list would be nice, but participation would kinda be the key issue. I personally will be building a dedicated box in the next month or so for UT and whatever else floats my boat, and Milenko has run a Quake3 server before, but if thats it, there is almost no point.

Kinda meant for anyone willing to run a box for any game under the sun to chime in, and if there is enough support, create a sticky thread that has an oft-updated list of the various servers run by us.
    I'd like to participate in this, except that I'm in Australia, so how would we set it up so that the times that I set up and announce are easily convertible to you current time zone?

IE If I say 7 pm till 11 pm my time.. how do you figure out when that is good for you? And the reverse..?
    Last edited by -Senectus-; August 29th, 2002 at 01:07 AM.
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

Originally posted by -Senectus-

I'd like to participate in this, except that I'm in Australia, so how would we set it up so that the times that I set up and announce are easily convertible to you current time zone?

IE If I say 7 pm till 11 pm my time.. how do you figure out when that is good for you? And the reverse..?
    Heh, we could agree on one time zone to use as a reference and list availability according to that timezone. Just have to remember the +/- hours to convert that time to your time to work.

I would suggest GMT or even GMT -6 (which happens to be the time zone windrivers is on).

My .02¢
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

I can set up and run a small (4 to 5 user) Half-Life box, but I need a new hard drive first (10 gig or so). I'd prolly be running either the standard HL deathmatch or Sven Co-op. Maybe some other mods, too. We'll see.

Cable's not the best for running game servers.

--Stryfe
    Please insert volume 'BRAIN' and press any key to continue.

/me often wonders why there isn't a minimum IQ requirement to use a computer.

I think that would be cool..

I know that once I get a fast enough connection I will host a game server. Maybe set up a poll that day on what game..then kick it off for a week or something. I would do it now, but 144k DSL doesn't cut it for hosting.

Nice Idea..

Luckily for me, my upload speed just got bumped up to 256Kbps, so I can now effectively host 4 people + a LAN connection (me ).
    Please insert volume 'BRAIN' and press any key to continue.

/me often wonders why there isn't a minimum IQ requirement to use a computer.

I'll be running a SOF II box soon. The loop is in and speakeasy is finishing the wiring for my fractional T1 next monday.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!