Ntldr
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ntldr

Ntldr

While trying to install windows 2000 on a new hard drive I keep getting an error.

what is "NTLDR" ?

NTLDR is the boot file which directs the loading of the os. Do you have a bios setting which protects against viruses? Disable it while you are installing windows.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

you haven't been mucking around with linux have you? When someone stuffs a dual boot system you'll get that sort of an error..
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

It also happens when you leave an unbootable floppy disk in the drive...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

NTLDR

Originally posted by NooNoo
    NTLDR is the boot file which directs the loading of the os. Do you have a bios setting which protects against viruses? Disable it while you are installing windows.

I do not have the Bios setting for virus protect on. Nor do I have any of the other setting mentioned by others on.

I have been very careful and have tried this install twice so far with the same results.

Any other ideas?

thank you

How have you prepared the drive for 2k installation?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    How have you prepared the drive for 2k installation?
    Werd. Something smells fishy!
    DON'T PANIC

Originally posted by techleet

Werd. Something smells fishy!
    I prepared the drive by doing fdisk, and then booted from the cd and did an install.
    After I did that I got the error.

Next I fdisk and then formated with a windows 98se boot disk and tried again. Same result.

What else should I do??

Originally posted by stm88

I prepared the drive by doing fdisk, and then booted from the cd and did an install.
    After I did that I got the error.

Next I fdisk and then formated with a windows 98se boot disk and tried again. Same result.

What else should I do??
    hmm. Try running fdisk, wiping out all partitions. Reboot, boot with the Win2k cd.
    DON'T PANIC

Originally posted by techleet

hmm. Try running fdisk, wiping out all partitions. Reboot, boot with the Win2k cd.

I've done that 3 or 4 times, always with the same result.
    The NTLDR message.
    I even tried making windows 2000 floppy disks (4 disks required) and ended with the same result.

I have since changed to a different harddrive and had no problems.

I have tried a scan disk on the orginal drive with no errors reported.

I don't know what to do with the drive now but throw it away.

Scandisk is not terribly good.

Download the diagnostics from the manufacturer website for the drive - it may even be in warranty still - check it.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Try doing an fdisk /mbr I think 2k puts boot info in the master boot record and it will stay there even if you fdisk.

What info? I'd guess the W2000 MBR overcomes the 2GB limit for the start of a booting drive but nothing more. I don't think they have info - its a program.

Fraser.

what type of hard drive is this? Western Digital, Maxtor etc.?

I would try running a lowlevel format utility against the drive if you have nothing to save on it.

If it is a WD drive they have a Data Lifeguard program, Maxtor has a Max Blast program. Let us know the manufacturer and we can help you out.

seen weird things happen to drives till you run the manufacturers utilities against it.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Is the hard drive on an ATA controller card?
    Is the MB new enough that it has built in ata 100 if so W2K did not support ata 100 until SP2 and even then I found I needed to add the controllers drivers during install. Hit F6 when prompted and point to the drivers disk for the card.
    If you do have ata 100 the first part of the install works great until the first reboot then it cant find the drive as it does not recognise the controller as being present and will give the ntldr error.