store closing -> closed

Thread: store closing -> closed

store closing -> closed

For the past two and a half years, I worked at a local place called Bizcom Computers . That store taught me the ins and outs of tech work -- some good, some bad, but overall, pretty good.

Today was her final day open. Everything was cleaned out, everything down to our tech benches, the center island (check out I guess you'd call it) and everything in between. Never seen the place that bare, ever. Looked huge without the tables, benches, book cases, boxes everywhere etc....

For the past ....year? I've absolutely hated that job. Didn't want to get up and go to work on Saturdays, didn't want to deal with the stupid customers, described it as my "$hitty job", etc. But it was weird looking at what we had written on the benches, things like phone numbers, our internet names, settings for some program, etc.

When we we're finally done and was told we could go -- another tech and I stood outfront next to our cars as they (owner and wife) finished sweeping the inside. We didn't say much. Just ...looked at the sign "Bizcom Computers".

I should've been excited that it was over. I really should have, but I'm not. It almost feels like someone's died. I'll never get up on Saturday again to go there. Never answer the phone "Bizcom computers this is me, how can I help ya" ...its just ....egh, weird....really really weird.

I know just how you feel..The place I worked at closed with almost no notice just two weeks ago..gave us a day to clean out our personal stuff, etc...It's pretty amazing how much room there is with no stuff on the bench to work on..no stock..etc. I'm going to work for a county network here supporting some 60 users (and GroupWise..yuck) but I will still answer the phone ComputerWorld when I'm not thinking..Best of luck to you

I guess no matter how much we might hate the working conditions, nothing beats helping out a fellow human being get the upper hand on their systems.

Best of luck to you Fubarian.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

If you have any positions open for our technicians please e-mail
    Thats a nice gesture.....

Hate to hear that you lost your job. Its funny how when you have the job, you hate it, but when you no longer work at that place, you miss it.....

So do you have another job yet, or are you going to enjoy a bit of time off first... Either way good luck
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Thanks to A d e p t for the avatar!!!!

Im done here

Originally posted by cc_penguin

So do you have another job yet, or are you going to enjoy a bit of time off first... Either way good luck
    I do, and have had one for a while, I just got so use to gettin up on sat and I've done that for a looooooong time. I'll probably try to find another weekend tech job but I dunno yet.

I know the feeling too Fub. That's exactly how I felt on my last day at TI last September. I miss that job.
    Hello World

I was working at a shop when it closed back in 98. We had to empty all the equipment out of the back door in the middle of the night so we woulden't alert the landlord. What a nightmare that was. I think the store owed so much rent that the landlord was going to padlock the doors shut the next day. Good thing we heard about it ahead of time.
    That's the worst looking hat I ever saw. You buy a hat like that I bet you get a free bowl of soup. It looks good on you though.

I know how you feel. I have been in the same situation. Some years back I accepted that high turnover and frequent layoffs were a fact of life in the tech support biz. The real key is making your skills as generic and independant as possible so that you can maintain constant employment.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.