Stop Error 0x8e during 3d games
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stop Error 0x8e during 3d games

Stop Error 0x8e during 3d games

I have been getting stop errors off and on lately while playing 3dgames over my network or on the web. I have been playing Warcraft III and Delta Force: Task Force Dagger. When I play them normally I don't have any problems, it just seems to occur when I play them on the web. Does anybody have any ideas about this??

Here is my system:
    AMD Thunderbird 800Mhz
    Corsair 256 Ram PC133
    Abit KT7 Motherboard (Bios July 2002)
    GeForce 4 MX 440 64DDR by Chaintech (Currently 28.32 Drivers....I have tried others though...same results)

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    OS would be nice
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

and how you connect to the internet?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Could be a whole list of things from modem drivers to faulty hardware, your best bet is to post full system specs, os and details, Is it only those 2 games, or others as well?

edit : then again, if its a cable / dsl modem, it could be a network card issue..
    G.

I am running WinXP Pro and I really only play those two games, so I don't know if it happens in any others. They are pretty graphics intensive, that is why I told you them. Anyway, I am on a network and I use my 3com 905C Network Card for this. It also happened over the modem with my US Robotics 3594 OEM Modem. XP had updated drivers for both of these products under the windows update page. We have DSL here, and that is how I have been connecting to the internet.

Thanks,
    Chris

My first guess would be that you are using the drivers that came with windows XP....which is a bad idea as they are VERY unstable. Go to www.nvidia.com and get the new ones and if you are using a via chipset then go to www.viarena.com and get the 4-in-1 drivers
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Also, download your latest 3com network card drivers, actually, when did your problems start? when you updated your network card drivers?? If so, do a driver rollback to the previos version and try it again.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

I never really had any problems until I got the new vid card, but it just seems weird that it only freezes up when playing online. Is there a way to determine a bad vid card??

By the way, I just had a bug check error 0x50 when I restarted my computer yesterday, do you know what that means at all?? I tried looking it up in microsofts knowledgbase, but I could not find anything too helpful.

Thanks,
    Chris

go to start > run type dxdiag then in the box that comes up click on the more help tab and then the msinfo button then hit the + beside hardware resources then click irq's see how many things are sharing

hmmm, did you update direct x at all?
    I'm just having difficultly trying to work out how it works offline, and not online but point to the video card..

G.

Originally posted by Garak
    hmmm, did you update direct x at all?
    I'm just having difficultly trying to work out how it works offline, and not online but point to the video card..

G.
    Thats why I asked about the IRQ's, vids probably sharing with the network and more likely than not, something else

I gets you now not been thinking straight past few days.

I was trying to work with the IRQ thing as well, because it seems XP likes to throw everything on the same IRQ. Almost all of my components are on the same IRQ. My Bios shows me that they are different, but the XP lumps them all together on IRQ 11. There is a knowledge base article to that effect as well. I could not find a way to change that. This sounds like it could be the culprit to me, is there a way to make this change??

Thanks again

Looks like an ACPI issue, I have had simular problems with VIA chipset boards (namely my own ) NooNoo gave me the idea of switching off ACPI, resetting my ESCD and rebooting, turning back on the ACPI (WIndows XP wont boot if you installed it with ACPI turned on and then switch it off)

It worked for me, a good IRQ shuffle, I also tried a full OS reinstall (partically worked, but the ACPI bit worked better)

I will try and find my thread on the problems.

G.

If this helps, when I did an error look up your error is supose to mean this:
    "The system cannot perform a JOIN or SUBST at this time. "

I doubt that will help, but something you might want to consider if you have the latest detanator drivers from nvidia, download any updates for the games. These games shouldnt be having any problem working with your vid card since they are newer, and it only happens when you are online. But it is just a thought.

Personally I agree that it sounds like an irq conflict between your network card and your video card. Try reinstalling each device, then look for conflicts.