DVD and CD playback with mediaplayer

Thread: DVD and CD playback with mediaplayer

Unhappy DVD and CD playback with mediaplayer

I've just installed Windows XP Home OEM and put all the drivers on and Office, power DVD XP etc...... Anyway, when i put in a CD or DVD the autorun kicks in and asks which program to play it with. I tried to use mediaplayer but when it had loads up it tries to connect to the net and then says it can't play it. PowerDVD playes CD and DVD fine. So I connected to the net and tried again and it worked fine, played the CD and then played the DVD aswell. I cut the net off and tried again and it came up with the same error. Whats going on? I havn't changed any of the setting and can't find anything in the options to stop it from tring to connect.

Anyone had this problem before?? Could it be a bad install?

Media player connects to the net for several reasons... Usage reports for one, accesses the cd database to give you the audio cd details and to automatically download codecs.

The cd you tried to play was audio or a vcd or what?

There are a couple of updates for windowsmedia player, have you installed those?

And I have to ask, if you have a great proggie like powerDVD, why do you want to use media player ?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I've got a simple answer, Media Player is Junk!

Mine won't play audio on DVDs even though I have digital and analog connectors from my dvd player to my soundcard. I've tried changing every setting I can find with no success. PowerDVD works great though right out of the box.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!