CD Burner Freezing problem

Thread: CD Burner Freezing problem

CD Burner Freezing problem

Ok, to start off, I'm running Windows 98 on a 1.8ghz machine, with 1gb of RDRAM and two 100gb hard drives. I just installed 2 Plextor 12x10x32S SCSI CD-RW Drives and a Tekram DC-395UW SCSI adapter card. I can read from these drives with no problems whatsoever, but burning is a different story.

I use NERO to burn CDs on my other computer (also with a Plextor drive, although slower and IDE). Whenever I attempt to burn a CD in NERO, I get all the way up to the "Caching of Files started" line and then the computer locks up. Completely. The mouse, keyboard, any other programs (stuff blinking in the system tray stops, etc), everything freezes. I know that the drives never begin burning because the CDs are still blank after I hit the reset button.

I'm pretty sure that low memory, etc is not the cause because of the stats I mentioned earlier. The computer runs fine for any other task. If anyone has any advice on this, it would be very helpful. Thanks.
    [steve]
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I seem to remember from some other threads that win98 doesn't like more than 512mb of ram..but I agree, I think it is an scsi issue..
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Everytime I mention Nero to fellow techs or PC enthusiasts I get the impression that it's an all or nothing program.

Meaning it either works spectacularly with your system config or flat out won't. It works great on my sys at home and at work, but colleagues look at me like I'm crazy when I swear by it because their systems don't work with it.

I would try another program with it to see if that works. Or even check Nero's site for a patch or even the latest version of Nero.

Good Luck~
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

I personally dont like nero but thats me I found that instead of burning at max speed with those try kicking it down a few notches its something with the drive that doesnt like max speed when burning.
    Just a thought