Win95A

Thread: Win95A

Win95A

Hi,
    Does Windows 95A support USB ?
    If I am not mistaken, I have read from some magazines long time a ago, saying that this version of Windows does not support USB. Can anyone enlighten me pls ?

Thanks.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    I've never tried USB on win 95A, but here's a link that might be helpful to you.

http://www.usb-drivers.com/drivers/40/40438.htm

drivers:all

Use at your own risk!
    WWBRD?

Windows 95A does not support usb, no way, no how (I tried, believe me!)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The final release of Windows 95 did support USB. I can not remember what it was called, but Windows 95c seems familiar. The A version did not support USB. I am not aware of an upgrade to go from A to C, but there may be one.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

Win95B (OSR2) and Win95C (OSR2.1) both support USB with the Supplemental USB software on the CD. Windows 95A does not support USB.

Charlie
    "Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.

Remember that the USB supplement also adds AGP support, without it an AGP video card will function as a PCI card.

And of course 95A doesn't support FAT32, all reasons to go for OSR2+ , although even then, the USB support can be a bit shaky.

There is a suggestion here:

http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...threadid=43760

that it may be permissible to use a 95A licence for a 95B installation.

Normally if the supplement is on the CD it will be labelled "With USB Supplement", but the USBSUPP.EXE file can be obtained and run on any OSR2 version.
    Last edited by Platypus; September 4th, 2002 at 07:55 AM.

The later versions of win95 that did support USB, from my experience, did not do it well. It would act erratically and generally the software for the USB device (like a scanner) tend to be 98 on up.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

I'd have to agree that the usb support of win95 is pretty bad though it can work in some cercumstances. Mouse and/or keyboard is fine but other devices is a toss up. I have also seen alot of devices that claim they will work with 95 but the software that supports those devices don't so you are stuck anyway. ( had one in last week in fact. I think it was a webcam. )
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Originally posted by drewmaztech
    The later versions of win95 that did support USB, from my experience, did not do it well. It would act erratically and generally the software for the USB device (like a scanner) tend to be 98 on up.

Ditto. Version C supported USB. My roomie hooked his USB scanner up with this version and it worked well, but it would flake out once in a while.

If you use USB you want to use 98 and higher.

Thanks a lot.