Frustrated Canadian w/ win2000Pro
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated Canadian w/ win2000Pro

Angry Frustrated Canadian w/ win2000Pro

Problem:
    The computer system locks while loading win2000 Pro

What I need:
    I just need the INFORMATION -> Customer did not backup her whole new web site design info is on the drive

Explaination:
    The computer post normally, boots to black screen white bar -Fine, then switches the win2000 screen with the magical moving blue bar. The progress indicator then stops @ 3/4 of the way. The keyboard lights flash then turn off (NUM LOCK)

Testing:
    I can't boot into safe mode. It freezes while loading Mup.sys
    I can't boot to safe mode and command prompt same thing
    I can't boot the machine with the hard drive set as a slave with a new OS install on seperate HDD. the computer hangs @ a black screen

I can't clone the drive ghost only picks up 2.3 gig out of 20 gig (Full) nothing but garbage files

Partition magic fines tonnes of errors then crashes. Can't dismount HDD is the first error. then tonnes of this block should be free blah blah blah

If anybody has any ideas then please send them my way
    [email protected]

Thanks in advance
    "GOOD 2 GO"

Re: Frustrated Canadian w/ win2000Pro

Originally posted by LaSERCHiPs
    Problem:
    The computer system locks while loading win2000 Pro

I can't clone the drive ghost only picks up 2.3 gig out of 20 gig (Full) nothing but garbage files

Partition magic fines tonnes of errors then crashes. Can't dismount HDD is the first error. then tonnes of this block should be free blah blah blah

Thanks in advance

Just to make sure, check its not viral

Try slaving the drive in a spare xp box see if you can read it that way.

Boot with the 2k cd go to repair console, run fixboot and fix mbr

if no joy still May I suggest spinrite - the hard drive is probably dying....

If you don't want to spend money on spinrite just yet, try booting with 2k cd and run chkdsk /r

Very good luck to you...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ontrack Data Advisor checks a drive to see if its working. You can download a free version that makes a booting floppy.

Fraser.l

if your just looking to pull the info off the drive slave it in another pc then pull the info over in explorer to the master.
    Last edited by storm; September 12th, 2002 at 09:10 AM.
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

I have tryed to slave it with a win2000 machine and a XP machine all it does is boots to a black screen and keyboard flashes the no power (Crtl + Alt + Del no work) nothing

I have ran Maxtor PowerMax software it reports the drive as being error free...

I will try the list ideas and let you know how it goes
    "GOOD 2 GO"

I have tryed to slave it with a win2000 machine and a XP machine all it does is boots to a black screen and keyboard flashes the no power (Crtl + Alt + Del no work) nothing

If it was "slaved" (not booting from) to another hard drive in this PC and still produced that type of error, you may be looking at a dysfunctional drive.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Have you tried last known good configurtion?
    Have you tried booting with the w2k cd and select repair?

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    I don't quite understand how placing it as a slave stopped the PC from booting?!

Wow. That's one messed up mofohdd.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Is it possible to boot into a linux distro and then mount the drive after.. ? (make sure the distro can actually read ntfs.. )
    does the machine boot properly without the "faulty drive" in it at all?

Other than that.. sounds like a very sick drive..
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

Actually I think you are misunderstanding what NooNoo said.

What you need to do is PULL the drive from the problem computer and then place it into a working computer, but NOT as the boot drive.

Basically make it a spare hard drive for another machine.

From what you have described, the odds are very high that you will be able to recover your data.

Your second option that would also probably fix your problem would be too boot from the CD and run a Repair. That replaces all of the system files with the originals, so you will need to reapply any serivce packs that you had.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

Update

I getting nowhere

Believe me when I say this... When I slave the HDD to another win2000 machine or XP machine...The machine will not boot into the OS

I can't even boot off a floppy disc

I am however receiving an error if I try to boot of the messed up drive...Stop partition unmountable error code 0X0000007b
    I receive this on any option in the win2000 start screen(F8)

I have never seen this before

My hope has faded and I have informed the customer that all hope is lost

I don't understand why I can't boot it on another machine but it won't

I know that there is nothing wrong with the machines I am connecting it to.

I have not tryed to connect it to a linux machine but I will try
    I'll have to install it again
    "GOOD 2 GO"

When all else fails, let your customer know that for about $1000 she may be able to get her data back. Look in the yellow pages for a data recovery service in your area. If the data is important enough they can pull the platter(s) and put them in a new drive or something even more drastic.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

This is a long shot, but try ghosting it to another drive.

It may be FUBARed if it's causing system lockups like that, but I've seen situations where imaging a defective drive (would not boot) onto another one saved the day.

BTW, I've seen the "unmountable" errors occur when a motherboard gets replaced on Win2000/XP machines and a boot is attempted from the system drive.

I don't want to imply you don't know your stuff, but is the "defective" drive properly jumpered when you try to slave it to another PC?
    Last edited by a d e p t; September 10th, 2002 at 11:18 AM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

have ran Maxtor PowerMax software it reports the drive as being error free...
    I may be missing something here but how did you run the maxtor application if it w`ont boot ?

Let me clear up some fuzzy comments

I can boot of a diskette that has been made with win95 or win98 but I can't boot off a set of 4 win2000 diskettes but remember when I but off win98 bootdisk I can't see the slave drive because 98 does not recognize NTFS

The powerMax software is created on a win98 boot disk

By all means I can connect the HDD to a machine with windows 98 and it boots fine-> BUT -> remember that win98 can't view a NTFS Partition...So there for a virus scan can't be done, can't view the drive

Partition magic can pickup the drive but I receive the error "partition unmoutable"

Ghost picks the drive up as well but after waiting the four hours ... out of the 20 GB of data I got 2.3 GB of Crap

Nothing was usable, most of the files were renamed with a digitcode (for example winnt.exe = 1019winnt) please note No extension

There was a lot of hexidecimal code in most files.

If I could get a program that could remount the partition then I might be able to do something.
    Last edited by LaSERCHiPs; September 10th, 2002 at 01:29 PM.
    "GOOD 2 GO"