Pet peeves..

Thread: Pet peeves..

Pet peeves..

Working at a technical support call centre for an ISP i have many pet peeves.. The greatest on i have is people who install software and don't know what it does, then call in for support.

The two biggest ones are firewalls/routers causing no access and file sharing causing degraded performance.

here is an example of file sharing at it's greatest..
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time=3855ms TTL=113
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time=4391ms TTL=113
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time=3186ms TTL=113
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time=3809ms TTL=113
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time=4350ms TTL=113
    Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: bytes=32 time=4065ms TTL=113
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 116, Received = 42, Lost = 74 (63% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 227ms, Maximum = 4391ms, Average = 1191ms
    feel the pain!
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    I do feel your pain. I get that from time to time, too. Most recent event was a small business installing a McAfee suite everywhere which promptly shut down every TCP connection to every other computer and printer in the building. He totally flipped and couldn't understand what caused it.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Matridom is my pet peeve...................Well, he IS my pet.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Doc you been petting Matridom again? I told you about that before!!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Doc you been petting Matridom again? I told you about that before!!
    Can't help it...............
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

My pet pevee is users who blame the computer for their poor file managment skills. I get so sick of looking for lost documents only to be told "Well, I didn't tell the computer to save it there!"

Originally posted by DocPC

Can't help it...............
    Just like that kid in americain pie...he could not hold it in...
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

My pet peeve is when they are a regular and you would think by now they would know at least a little of what your talking about...

Its like they suddenly lose all information you gave them in the previous 500 visits..

that and people who play games on my LAN tooooo LOUD
    I swear i have some deaf friends.

At least let me hear mine.. jeeez

Woman has been here for 6 years. Same specific login program, same login name and password for 6 years...

One day, *synapse lapse* no clue about the login or password. Information not recorded anywhere and she's blaming me that it's going to take a few hours for me to contact the software vendor to get it reset!
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Last day in the conveinience store tommorrow, and that's inspired me to say...

People who don't know how the conveyer belt on the checkout works!

How difficult is it? You put your stuff on, conveyor belt takes it to the end, it stops.

Had two today (and bear in mind as a boss, I must serve about 10 people, tops, per day):

First one, puts his stuff on, watches it roll down, woman puts her stuff on behind. Then for no reason at all, he puts his arm in front of his stuff when it gets 3" from the end, making his stuff, and hers, fly all over the place. Looks at me like I'm some sort of idiot and says "Well stop it then!". I placed a finger in front of the sensor, and magically, it stops!

Other one, first woman puts her stuff on, I serve her. In the mean time, unknown to me (serving the first customer) another dumbass puts her stuff on right behind (less the separator bar) and watches while I put half of her stuff on the first bill before either of them bother to mention it.

And you thought people who save files in the wrong place are stupid?
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Outcoded the very best conveyor belts are used as revenge by the cashier for their bad days..

The end conveyor that takes stuff to the packing area does not have a sensor.

I very carefully put all the heavy cans, bottles up first, then the boxes, then the perishables etc... so the light stuff comes last and CANNOT be crushed by the heavy stuff right?

Noooooooooooo not easy enough for the PFY, oh no, he gotta choose what he is taking off the conveyor that brings to the goods to him, so, for instance he will wait until you are 3 or 4 items behind in the packing and your 4 year old is wreaking havoc because your attention is divided and then reach over and grab the bag of squishy cakes the kids chose put that down the conveyor then grab the 10lb bag of potatoes and send that down immediately afterwards.

So you ask them to replace the cakes and of course there are none left so kids are now upset, I am now bordering on the angry and the PFY has had his fun for the day.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Hmm, they don't let us have the 'off' conveyor belts, we have to squash stuff the old fashioned way... By "helping' them to pack their stuff
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    My pet peeve is people who come in for an internet connection problem, I fix it and three months later they call to complain it never worked since they got it back!
    My favorite tool- the modem log.