Web Server Question

Thread: Web Server Question

Web Server Question

Out web server and exchange are the same server.

Web/Email Server (Web mail - mail.domain.com\exchange and (Web server - www.domain.com)

I can pull up any other external Internet website inside the company...I can also access our website remotley. However, I'm unable to pull up the Website that we host internally on our web server. I'm confused as to why I can access web mail with (hostname/exchange) internally and not the website. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
    Consume.....It will make you feel whole again.....

I know this sounds dumb, but you are typing "http://computername" as opposed to just "computername", right?
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

Originally posted by ShadowKing
    I know this sounds dumb, but you are typing "http://computername" as opposed to just "computername", right?
    Yes, I'm using http://computername I'm just at a loss as to what else could be wrong.
    Consume.....It will make you feel whole again.....

Sounds like a dns issue. Can you ping the box by dns name? Is it in a dmz (dirty or clean?) Is it natted?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

is the server a dns server? you should add the dns entry for your domain into your webserver. Because yes, if it is natted, you will have problems coming in otherwise.

You can't use the external address to connect to your own server, it's like dialing your own phone number. I think you have to use the internal address (whatever that is, I don't know how you have your network configured)

if you have more than one site being hosted with IIS on the same box each site needs a dns entry and each site needs a host header entry in iis properties for that site. the host header entry would be the site url (www.mysite.com)

it makes no difference if it's "internal" or "external" multiple sites on the same box either need a host header or a seperate ip

the only time local host comes into play is if you type that in the browser from the server that the site is hosted on....but that also depends on how IIS is configured, you can't use local host on mine you must type in the url for example.

so, if you can't access the site make sure the dns enrty and the host header entry are correct first.

BTW, running IIS and exchange on the same box is a really bad practice if you can help it. by default iis sites run in a shared process. so if someone or something were to make a process kick off and it ran away it will cripple your box by tying up the cpu. this can be reconfigured to prevent this from happening but both on the same box is still not a good practice.
    Last edited by storm; September 30th, 2002 at 12:45 PM.
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Originally posted by storm
    BTW, running IIS and exchange on the same box is a really bad practice if you can help it. by default iis sites run in a shared process. so if someone or something were to make a process kick off and it ran away it will cripple your box by tying up the cpu. this can be reconfigured to prevent this from happening but both on the same box is still not a good practice.
    Unless of course you are running Outlook Web Access.
    OWA uses IIS, and is WELL worth implementing...
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

I agree OWA is worth implementing but it does not need to be running on the exchange server. You can stand up a very low-end server to run OWA there-by eleminating the problem I mentioned in the previous post
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Since you can get to the exchange server, outside access is no problem.

Is there any firewalls on your network? If so did you port forward 80 to your box?

Sometimes I have had trouble with IIS and it's default site. What I have had to do is delete the default site and re-create a new site. And after that everything magically works even though all the settings are the same

By the way you should be able to point to your own external address from inside your network, it does not work as if you are dialing your own telephone number.
    To each his/her own.

This really sound like DNS, if you are hosting more than one site with IIS internaly you will need to setup the addresses in IIS and DNS for this to work

You should really rethink running IIS on your Exchange box,
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA