Numlock and external keyboard with laptop

Thread: Numlock and external keyboard with laptop

Numlock and external keyboard with laptop

A co-worker of mine has a Toshiba 3000 laptop and he would like to be able to automatically have numlock come on at boot when there is an external keyboard attached, and not have it come on if there isn't an external keyboard attached. Anybody know of a way to do this? Thx

hold "esc" when you turn the unit on. this will take you into the cmos setup for the notebook. I don't remember there being any setting for external keyboards, but its worth a look.

What OS is he using? I believe there's a way with Win XP and Win2k to have the num lock come on at bootup, before you login, and I believe that it'll retain the setting last used. So if the numlock was on when the laptop was booted down, with a keyboard, the numlock will still be on with the keyboard in the next time. But if you unplug the keyboard, I'm not sure how that'll affect it, but I don't think it will make a difference.

If it's Win9x, maybe this trick would do it, but I (also) don't think there's much one can do to toggle this functionacording to the presence/absence of an external keyboard.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams