XP Won't instal printer or do a system restore

Thread: XP Won't instal printer or do a system restore

XP Won't instal printer or do a system restore

I have XP Home preinstalled. My old parallell Canon BJC1000 printer was working fine but I bought a Canon S200 USB Printer which is XP Compatible. Not only won't it instal but I lost use of my BJC1000. I now find the computer will not allow me to instal the drivers, the printers won't detect ports and I cannot do a system restore. XP is driving me mad, help please!

OK Gran, first things first.

In device manager, do you have the usb hub and controller showing ok with no errors.

Is the lpt port also showing up with no errors?

Did you install the usb drivers first then connect the printer or the other way around?

Do you have sp1 already installed?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

>In device manager, do you have the usb hub and controller showing ok with no errors.

>Is the lpt port also showing up with no errors?

ALL OK NO ERRORS

>Did you install the usb drivers first then connect the printer or the other way around?

Both, neither way works, Canon readme says turn off to instal drivers, when I turn the printer on it won't detect port and says drivers not installed. Same with my Parallel port printer that was working and suddently stopped, cannot reinstall it nothing will instal now and system restore does not work now its like my computer has stopped recognising my administration rights but there are no messages to that effect.

>Do you have sp1 already installed? No, download too big.
    Last edited by MorseLady; September 11th, 2002 at 06:05 PM.

Try deleting the ports in system proprties and redetect them again.
    Do you have another usb device you could try?

Agreed Archer - but disconnect the lpt printer and the usb printer from the ports first, then uninstall/remove them in device manager. Reboot, redetect the ports.

Start with the usb printer, follow the install instructions to the letter.

Leave the lpt printer alone till you get the usb one going.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have successfully acquired my USB scanner from both USB ports and it has been working very well. BTW both printers work on my other computer.

I have already done the uninstall, reinstal, redetect ports and device manager stuff plus I used Windows troubleshooting.

In case you missed it in my original post I cannot do a system restore. I have plenty of restore points but they all come up with unable to restore.

System resources are good. Could the logical partition I created and the fact that I had a disk geometry problem have anything to do with it?

Shall I merge the Logical Partition, backup my drive and use the manufacturers OEM system recovery discs and do a no format recovery?
    Last edited by MorseLady; September 11th, 2002 at 07:06 PM.

Grangeek at this point its your choice whether you wish to solve the problem or use the restore cd to make it go away.

Where is the system restore kept?

Is it on this logical drive you created?

What exact error message are you receiving on system restore?

Have you tried installing the printers in safe mode?

Have you tried a system restore from a command prompt?

Starting System Restore Tool from Command Prompt

Start your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

NOTE: You must log on as the administrator or a user that has administrator rights.
    At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
    Follow the instructions on the screen to begin restoring your computer to a previous, functional state.

I've just installed the S200 on an XP home system (2Ghz P4 Northwood, 256Mb DDR RAM) and if you do the install, as they recommend in the manual (installing the drivers before turning on the printer, which they really urge the importance of!), it takes the program forever to detect the printer port!!! I almost gave up and rebooted it myself! ...so maybe you wheren't patient enough to begin with?? Try giving it 5-10 minutes to find the port!

Right, some very useful replies and many thanks. First of all I should tell you that I am not very experienced when it comes to NT technology although I am now on a Windows 2000 Server MCP course and the tutor says XP is relevant to it. Right, so I hope to learn more and I must regard problems on my XP computer as part of my learning process.

I have not tried installing in safe mode, my ignorance is showing now and thanks I will try it. No, I have not tried system restore in safe mode mea culpa!

The message I get in system restore after it goes through the usual procedures is system restore was unable to restore to an earlier date or words to that effect. I have used this device many times in ME and have used it on this computer before with no problems. I will try some other restore points.

Yes, I did try to instal the S200 according to the very specific instructions. I cannot reinstall my old printer BJC1000 which was working perfectly.

Noo Noo, in reply to your question, as I am now a part time IT student on an MCP oriented course I think it would be best to try and resolve the problem rather than run the restore CD, that is running away from the problem but last night I has a headache and could not think. I am a migraine sufferer and it often interferes with my ability to problem solve.

I have been wondering if I have full administrative rights but did not know how to check or sign on as Administrator but I do know my computer recognises me as [my name] and that name is System Administrator and I can do defrag and so on and I know from tryng to do that on a computer at College that defrag is not accessible to all. I have also seen references to Power User with an option to turn it off.

I installed XP Home a few months ago on a partition on my ME computer and had full access but when I bought this one I had a terrible job getting on the Internet and a couple of times lost my Identity and had to create a new one. Having played with XP PRO Eval on my other computer I would say the manufacturers OEM instal is a hybrid of Home and Pro if that is possible? First run of XP Home on this computer seemed different from first run of my retail instal on the other one and my own instals on my other machine of XP Home 2002 Edition retail and XP Pro Eval were much more stable.

Right, this is what I am going to do. I am going to boot up my other computer and print this thread out. I have created an NTFS Partition on my other computer which was intended for W2K Server for my course but I am going to put my spare and unactivated copy of XP Home on it and then I can mirror actions and if I can instal my printer on there I will know it's something related to this computer like a corrupted registry. Then I can decide what to do.

Phew! I will not be online until this evening, have to put my skivvy's hat on now and get some chores done I have said this before, but I am so grateful for the help I get on here, thanks.
    Last edited by MorseLady; September 12th, 2002 at 05:02 AM.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    A useful tool. Put in your winxp disk. Go to the Run command and type sfc /scannow This will perform the function that System file checker does in win98 and is supposed to be done automatically in Me and XP but I think this performs a better check. I have solved 8-9 problems in my shop with this simple trick. Good luck.

Hello Techs,

Since my previous post I have been able to use System Restore, seems the restore point I tried to use before was corrupted but I have used it since to go back and undo go back and have created new restore points. There are no problems at all with System Restore now.

However I took your advice just now and ran sfc /scannow and it closed down after scanning and left no messages - does that mean the files are OK?

I think my problem with being unable to instal both my USB and parallel printer must be just printers being printers - we do printers shortly on my MCP W2K Server course and I hope I can apply what I learn to XP! I will just perservere as they both work in ME and XP on my other computer and my USB scanner works fine on here.

Thank you.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    However I took your advice just now and ran sfc /scannow and it closed down after scanning and left no messages - does that mean the files are OK?

It has never given me a message either probably because it is supposed to work in the background. Looking at the cdrom drive I can see it reading so it is either doing a file replacement or a file compare. Based on the time it takes it cannot possibly be doing such a thorough drive on the bootup. When I first tested this I had been seeing alot of unexplained errors and after my system ran fine so I started trying it on other computers and somethimes it would fix problems so know it is doing something good.

It did take some time and I could see the bargraph moving very slowly so it must have been doing something.

Moved to my other computer now, got to do some work on W2KServer ready for my class but I am in ME right now as a session in ME makes me realise how good XP is