30 93.75%
  • Yes, Bite your tounge and invite her

2 6.25%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Invite my aunt to my wedding

Smurf Village : 3rd house on the left next to the wishing well

Invite my aunt to my wedding

Simple question

Should I invite my aunt to our wedding.??

Heres the background.

To put it mildly I cant stand the woman, I dont want her to be there. I am honestly not wanting to invite her to protect Smurfette.
    She is the type of woman who comments on everything she sees and does. The reason for not inviting her was a few years back I was at my cousins wedding and she had my cousin in tears at her reception from consitantly complaining about her dress, the bridesmaids, the food, the hall and her choice of music. I swore at that point NOT to invite her to my wedding.
    Smurfette says we should invite her to all our famillies will be there, but this is one family member I dont want. I could have a word with her prior to the wedding to keep her mouth shut but I know for a fact she will take no notice and continue making comments about anything she feels like. I know weddings never go as planned and they are always some problems on the big day but I refuse to have Smurfette in tears because something I could of stopped is commenting on her dress and everything else.

What do you guys think
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Codename "PapaSmurf" 007 :

Past Missions : Protecting the world from the Goldeneye Kid - Status Complete
    Undercover as a International Playboy photographer : Status Complete
    Bodygaurd for the Victoria Secrets girls : On going job

Banned
    It is your wedding not your aunts. If you don't want her, just don't invite her. If for some reason she shows up, tell her to shut up or leave. Hire some thugs to take care of her. Don't let the damned mongolians near your city wall.

If smurfette doesn't believe she is as bad as you say, perhaps you should invite your Aunt for the afternoon one weekend in order for smurfette to see for herself.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Smurf Village : 3rd house on the left next to the wishing well
    Originally posted by NooNoo
    If smurfette doesn't believe she is as bad as you say, perhaps you should invite your Aunt for the afternoon one weekend in order for smurfette to see for herself.
    Been there and tried that, Invited her round the house a few weeks back. I wont go into details but root canal treatment is probably more enjoyable. Smurfette doesnt really like her either but feels we have to invite her, Which is fair enough but I dont mind her upsetting me on the day I just dont want to have Smurfette getting the grief as well. As for my family they agree with my reasons for not wanting to inviting her as they also know what she is like.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Codename "PapaSmurf" 007 :

Past Missions : Protecting the world from the Goldeneye Kid - Status Complete
    Undercover as a International Playboy photographer : Status Complete
    Bodygaurd for the Victoria Secrets girls : On going job

find out when she is going to be out of town and have the wedding then. that way, you can still invite her, but since she already has plans to be out of town, chances are she will not attend.

Re: Invite my aunt to my wedding

Originally posted by Papa Smurf
    Simple question

Should I invite my aunt to our wedding.??

What do you guys think
    Simple answer:

No.

Man, its YOUR wedding.

You and Smurfette invite your friends and family YOU want to SEE there.

PERIOD.

Had the same probl at my wedding (few scrores ago...!) and I sent a letter to a particular cousin&family I didnt want to see there, telling him exactly that and my reasons.

Knowing that (plus the fact that if he shoed up, he would be the star of our *** kicking contest) he wrote back a long apologie, with his best wishes. (havent seen him since. Good.)

BTW, congrats.
    C'est la Vie...

"I invented it, Bill made it famous." ~ David Bradley
    (wrote the code for Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the IBM PC)

"You know you're a geek when... You try to shoo a fly away from the monitor with your cursor." ~ Juuso Heimonen

Originally posted by Damned Angel
    find out when she is going to be out of town and have the wedding then. that way, you can still invite her, but since she already has plans to be out of town, chances are she will not attend.
    Some how I get the feeling she would cancel whatever else it was to attend....

Smurfette, principles is one thing, your wedding day is quite another. I remember quite clearly my mother in law marching up to me during the photo session some 12 years ago demanding that I should load her camera for her, because the 35mm film I bought for her would not fit her 35mm camera.... it went down from there.... I did load the camera despite other people offering to do it, because she insisted LOUDLY that I had bought the wrong film and refused to have anyone else load it. She was so certain I was wrong and that I had ruined her chance to take pictures of her son's wedding

Now the mother in law you cannot avoid, but the scene certainly could have been. If Papa Smurf's aunt is even only half as bad as he thinks, you Smurfette are the one that is going to have to deal with it and Papa Smurf will be forced to watch ... ok enough said, /me gets off hobby horse
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

If your family doens't think its a good idea to invite her, by all means don't! You will have a much more enjoyable day without her presence and if she gets pissed @ you then you will see even less of her in the future. So it's a win/win by not inviting her!

Her invitation You

Best Option!
    Last edited by Akuma; September 12th, 2002 at 10:20 AM.
    Sooouuuushi!

Home of the 2004 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox
    Send her an invitation- then make sure she can't attend. Render her car useless by pulling a couple of spark plug wires. Maybe have her over your house the night before and serve her old potato salad so she has food poisoning, and if she does attend, she'll be too sick to open her mouth.-j/k

Do yourself a favor and save Smurfette the aggravation- cross your beloved aunt off the list

Ran into the same problem with my Husband's mother, but we had to invite her. Had she been an Aunt, no way she would have gotten an invite. I say, you're paying so you get to say who can play, but I vote No, obviously.
    end of line.

I wouldn't invite her. and if she did some how get to the wedding, I would tell her flat out to keep her mouth shut and if she can't handle that I'd forcably remove her. And would.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Chat Moderator Great White North's Avatar
    Send the invatation a week after the wedding.
    Darn postal service
    Hire the Hells Angels to keep her out.
    Igloos for sale!! Buy them today keep the cold away!

it's your wedding, your choice. I'd say no. it should be one of the happiest days of your life. keep it that way. you won't have fun with a cloud over it.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Do NOT invite. I've been to enough and been a part of enough weddings to know that any grief that can be avoided is worth it. Even if that means that your Aunt gets disappointed about not getting invited. "Your invitation must have gotten lost in the mail.", "Our invitation list got messed up and some people got two invitations.", "I know I sent you one, are you sure you didn't get it?", and so on.

A little sage advice for the two of you: WHEN something goes wrong during the wedding ceremony (and no matter how finely detailed you have planned it, something will invariably go wrong), try to remember that a wedding does not make a marriage. Any mistakes or missteps during the wedding are just things you can laugh about in the future. Above all else, enjoy yourselves on your wedding day.