SMB "all-in-one" server

Thread: SMB "all-in-one" server

Question SMB "all-in-one" server

I'm looking for an "all-in-one" box for small business. I know that Intel had one for a while. The box had a web based interface accessable from any browser, 2 hard drives (hardware RAID 1), inter-office email server that picks up POP mail for each user, DHCP, etc. You could add users & passwords, setup file shares with permissions and map drives from it to workstations. It also was a print server as you could set up the printers and share them on the "all-in-one" box.

I believe that this box sold for around $1200.00 or something. I cannot find it anywhere now. This would be a great item to find. If anyone knows who makes one with pretty much these features, please let me know. I believe that this would fit in great in the small business and SOHO where there are fewer than 10 PC's.

Any Ideas on a product at a resonable price????

JKS
    I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
    John Cage (1912-1992)

They aren't cheap but, you can buy Proliant Servers bundled with M$ Small Business Server. The small proliant servers can be outfitted with redundant fans, power supplies, and hot swap RAID. SBS has exchange, sql, isa, iss, plus modem and fax sharing. I think it's limitted to 25 users and can never join a domain or be upgraded but at $~1200 it's not a terribly bad deal.

Alternatively, you could build a linux box much cheaper that would do the trick... In fact, I'm pretty sure there is a local shop that sells linux boxes that do exactly what your asking. If your interested I'll find the name.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

I'm not sure if you could build the system you want for 1200 dollars but I'm pretty sure of it. Then all's you would need is software such as e-smith's SME Server. It is super easy to install and it works right out of the box with only minor configuration.

Oh yeah and it's free too. Get it here
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

you might want to look at this from sun..used one of these for a local ambulance service web host and imail/webmail host..
    works well..stable for a month so far..we will see what time brings
    http://www.sun.com/hardware/serverap...be3/index.html
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

I recently used ClarkConnect to setup a server similar to that. It's only like 189MB so it's small and when it's doing installing you can do pretty much anything via the web interface and the shell access it gives you. It's free from www.clarkconnect.org and it supports all kinds of things...VPN, HTTP, FTP, NFS, Samba, Firewall...kinda neat! All you would need then is a cheap PC with two NIC's and that's all! You don't need a local monitor or keyboard...just a thought!

Great, I belive that the best I'm going to get is a Linux Box with Clark Central.

Thanks guys,

JKS
    I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
    John Cage (1912-1992)

Don't know if it's too late, but this is the one I was thinking of. I've seen 'em in catalogs but couldn't track it down.

Send/receive email
    Offers webmail access
    Auto-configure network surroundings
    File server for Windows/Mac desktops
    Host webpages
    VPN connections (Virtual Private Network)
    FTP server (File Transfer Protocol)
    DNS server (Domain Name Service)
    Print server
    DHCP server (auto assigns IP addresses)
    Cache websites
    Automated backup (idb)
    Online software updates
    Built in firewall
    Allow dial-up access
    RAS (Remote Access Server)
    LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
    haven't had any first hand experience with one though.
    Last edited by craigmodius; September 14th, 2002 at 09:55 AM.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded