39 OS's on one machine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 39 OS's on one machine.

39 OS's on one machine.

Yep it CAN be done. Multiboot Menagerie
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

finally..a use for all these 80 gb hard drives I've got around here..wonder how many different versions of antivirus programs I'd need
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Why?

Originally posted by MacGyver
    Why?
    Why?

To get in the Guiness of World records of course!!!

39 to 56 os's, yikes!!!!

Some of use might only use 2 - 5 os's on one system.

Interesting achievement though.

Only took him a year!!!

Gotta have a hobby I guess Either that or it was the only way he could discipline himself into guitar practice
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by MacGyver
    Why?
    I concur. I can see the coffee machine PC but the 57 flavor OS machine? Has anyone contacted Heintz about this?

I don't think I realized there WERE that many!?!
    "...but there's booze in the blender and soon it will render that frozen concoction that helps me hang on..." jimmy buffett

He missed Windows 3.11!
    Now all he needs is the LEAF (Linux Embedded Application Firewall) project that runs a version of Linux off a floppy. Imagine what this guy could have accomplished if he didn't have to FDISK and start over every time windows crashed.
    Tr!une

Postcount = Legit Postcount + 1
    100+ all tech, no WOTPP

Originally posted by Tr!une
    He missed Windows 3.11!
    Now all he needs is the LEAF (Linux Embedded Application Firewall) project that runs a version of Linux off a floppy. Imagine what this guy could have accomplished if he didn't have to FDISK and start over every time windows crashed.
    LOL!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

why does a different distribution of Linux count as another OS...and why does having DOS from different places count...i think he's cheating.

Well you could say that win3.1 and 95 are`nt true OS`s too as they should only classed as GUI`s are`nt they?

and i thought that that my 5 were a lot...
    (linux is dodgy with my hardware, so i need 3 seperate distros to get everything working :/ )
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh

Originally posted by Archer
    Well you could say that win3.1 and 95 are`nt true OS`s too as they should only classed as GUI`s are`nt they?
    win3.11 is indeed a platform(not an OS) but win95 IS an operating system.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Win 3.1 ---> Win95

Originally posted by Archer
    Well the difference between Win 3.1 and 95 is rather humerous. Both are GUIs which sit on top of Dos to provide interaction. However if you only had a Win3.1 floppy set you wouldn't be able to get the PC to boot, because it requires a whole seperate package (MS-Dos 5 and up). Since Windows 95 actually includes it's own MS-Dos layer in the installation, PCs are able to boot after installing this package. And that my friends is why Win95 is considered an OS and Win3.11 is a GUI (Graphical User Interface). Not that Win95 isn't also a GUI or platform it's just Win95 is also an OS.

Notable changes in Windows 95 from Win3.1 (At release!)
    Full 32-Bit Development Environment (Win32s were a small layer)

Drastically Better Memory Management (Not so many leaks, one no longer had to reboot every couple of hours)

Signicantly improved hardware support

(Please nobody go off about USB or DirectX support, because they weren't included in Win95 gold)
    Thanks,
    Christian Blackburn
    www.RawSeattle.org

An operating system (sometimes abbreviated as "OS") is the program that, after being initially loaded into the computer by a boot program, manages all the other programs in a computer. The other programs are called applications or application programs. The application programs make use of the operating system by making requests for services through a defined application program interface (API). In addition, users can interact directly with the operating system through a user interface such as a command language or a graphical user interface (GUI).

An operating system performs these services for applications:

* In a multitasking operating system where multiple programs can be running at the same time, the operating system determines which applications should run in what order and how much time should be allowed for each application before giving another application a turn.
    * It manages the sharing of internal memory among multiple applications.
    * It handles input and output to and from attached hardware devices, such as hard disks, printers, and dial-up ports.
    * It sends messages to each application or interactive user (or to a system operator) about the status of operation and any errors that may have occurred.
    * It can offload the management of what are called batch jobs (for example, printing) so that the initiating application is freed from this work.
    * On computers that can provide parallel processing, an operating system can manage how to divide the program so that it runs on more than one processor at a time.
    Booting the drive does not make an operating system. you can sys a drive and make it bootable with no other software installed. That does not mean that it's an os. Above i quted a web defination of an OS. The main key is that it needs to manage resources windows 3.11 never did. it allowed DOS to handle that aspect and only made calls to it to allow other applications to run. Windows 3.11 could not load it's OWN mouse driver, then share that with other apps, you had to preload it in DOS first. Windows95 is a true OS cause it manages the hardware. resources. You install a mouse into windows, all applications can now see it and use it. Windows95 can manage the RAM and so forth...
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans