Incorrect drive space reporting

Thread: Incorrect drive space reporting

Red face Incorrect drive space reporting

Hi everyone

I have a system that has a partitioned hdd. C: drive currently has about 350mb free. Whenever I try to copy something to c: I get an error saying that I've run out of drive space. A couple of programs that I've tried running also through up disk space related errors and don't run properly.
    The other drives don't have this problem.

I've got InnoculateIT PE with up to date dat files on the system and have performed a full virus scan just in case of a virus. It didn't find anything, nor can I find any details on the web of a virus that would do this.

Any help would be great.

Nowadays, 350MB isnt a lot of space free. Also, my guess is you have your virtual memory set to "Let Windows manage my virtual memory settings", which will eat up that 350MB in no time, especially if you have antivirus software running in background which will temporarily use huge amounts of disk space while it is checking a file in a transfer. The message you are getting is probly the message about "almost out of disk space...." that comes up when the system detects less than 50MB free. My only suggestions would be to free up some space, get a bigger drive, and use a permanent swap file instead of letting Windows manage it (do this by setting Minimum and Maximum to same size, about 1.5-2 times amount of RAM in system usually).

Note: These symptoms occur extremely frequently if you are zipping/unzipping files, that takes shtuffloads of space as well.

-Danyll
    Danyll

If we live in an insane world, how can I be normal if I'm sane?
    "I'm reminded of the immortal words of Socrates who said-'I drank what?'"-Val Kilmer (Real Genius)

Yup. out of space.

Only one other thought-move the swapfile to one of the other drives?

What they said...

Have you recently run a Scandisk in case the drive free space is being mis-reported after a crash?

Other than that, yes, move swapfile to another drive, go through C: for un-necessary files, un-install an application or two, re-install them on another drive etc. Unless C: is a 2G FAT16 partition, use something like Partition Magic to expand the partition...