USB ports quit responding after a certain amount of time

Thread: USB ports quit responding after a certain amount of time

USB ports quit responding after a certain amount of time

If I leave my computer alone for an undetermined amount of time (I do not have power management enabled) my USB ports cease working. None of my USB devices can be accessed. I have a USB hub attached to one of the ports, and all the lights go out on the hub. My USB NIC, attached directly to the USB port, also quits responding so my computer can no longer acess the network. I can not scan, print, get photos from my camera, or use my Graphire tablet.

If I try and restart Windows, I get a "program not responding" message, but nothing is printed in the title of the box. The computer then goes BSOD.

Fatal Exception 0E at 0028:C0031A54 in VxD --- callled from 0028:C00301F9 in Vxd ---

At this point, I have to do a hard reset. Once Windows loads again, the USB ports are fine. It does not act like an IRQ conflict, since I can access every device in my system (sound, capture card, modem, etc.) with no problems while simultaneously using the USB. If I restart Windows before the USB crashes, the computer restarts fine, no error messages.

Athlon1200, Win98, 756Mb Ram, 30 GB HDD

Do you have a via chipset? If so have you installed the usb filter fix? available here

What antivirus do you have?

Are all the windows updates installed?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I did not know about the USB Filter, I will try it when I get home.

Norton Antivirus 2000

Not sure how up-to-date my system is, I had most of the critical updates installed a while back

you may also want to check your ASPI cause that may be shutting down the ports.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Thanks for the help.

Between the VIA update and screwing around with the ASPI bios, I have not had the problem all week (and I was getting it every day).