Creating a domain w/ Server

Thread: Creating a domain w/ Server

Creating a domain w/ Server

Hi guys,

I am creating my first domain using Windows 2000 server. We have about 20 machines, most of them being Windows NT 4 but about 25% are Windows 2k Pro.

I used the Windows 2000 server wizard to creating an Active Directory and domain. When I try to add a computer to the domain it will work for the Windows NT boxes, but the Windows 2000 ones say that they cannot find the domain. At present they were all in a workgroup with the same name as the domain. Would this cause any problems? All of the PC's can see each other including the workstations that can see the server (domain controller).

Why would the Windows 2000 machines not see the domain when I try to add them using the administrator account? Also, it doesn't seem that the NT ones are working 100%, as they do not use the security policy that I have set-up (i.e. system message on log-on); however, they are using the proper user names that I entered on the server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys, and let's go Penn State

Unhappy

Figured it out. The domain name did not end in ".com" and Windows did not like this

So I removed Active Directory and re-installed naming my domain with .com on the end.

I had another question which hopefully someone can answer. Since this is in a lab setting I want to run a script on logon for any user that is authenticated to add our two printers to their PC. How can this be done using Windows 2000 server and a batch (script) file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

Hmm. Do you own the x.com domain? If so, do you have a website with that name?

In my experience it's a good idea to give your internal domain a private top level domain name. For instance, my domain is cluster.lab

The .lab is the top level domain but no-one is going to run into it on the internet. I'm also not going to have issues looking the "real" .com/net/org/biz etc that matches my domain name. Know what i mean?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Yes, I do know what you mean; however, this is a little different type of lab. This is a closed connection secret lab. It is all self-contained with no connection to the outside world. In fact I do not even configure internet explorer as there is nowhere for anyone to connect to.

On to the new issue at hand, do you know how to create a script to possibly configure the two printers, desktop image, and link on the desktop so that it is the same for all users no matter which PC they log into?

Thanks!

Correct me if I am wrong, but with Active Directory, I don't believe that you HAVE to but .com or .lab at the end of an Active Directory setup. You can just set up a plain old domain name and it should work. I know that NT4 does not support Active Directory without a patch so you could theoretically setup a 2K Domain with just a plain old domain name.

It's been quite awhile since I've setup an Active Directory domain, so correct me if I am wrong.

FYI - The domain name X.com is owned by Paypal. X.com was an online bank about 2 years ago that eventually became what we know today as Paypal. If you type www.x.com in your browser it will redirect you to PayPal's website.
    System Specs
    ------------------------------------------------
    Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

512MB PC2100 DDR RAM,

Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti4400,

TDK 48X24X48 CD/RW

Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM

you could enable roaming profiles for your users, that way no matter where they log into the domain they will retain their settings

Originally posted by nytiger73
    Correct me if I am wrong, but with Active Directory, I don't believe that you HAVE to but .com or .lab at the end of an Active Directory setup. You can just set up a plain old domain name and it should work. I know that NT4 does not support Active Directory without a patch so you could theoretically setup a 2K Domain with just a plain old domain name.

It's been quite awhile since I've setup an Active Directory domain, so correct me if I am wrong.

FYI - The domain name X.com is owned by Paypal. X.com was an online bank about 2 years ago that eventually became what we know today as Paypal. If you type www.x.com in your browser it will redirect you to PayPal's website.
    I'll venture to say that you need a .something in order for DNS to work. With 2000 now based on DNS a .something is mandatory. I could be wrong but I can't see how
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Or you could try Group Policy.
    To each his/her own.

Originally posted by silencio

I'll venture to say that you need a .something in order for DNS to work. With 2000 now based on DNS a .something is mandatory. I could be wrong but I can't see how
    no, you don't need to specify a top level domain. What you DO need, however, is to specify the IP address of the 2k AD server as a DNS entry in your clients. first time i implemented a 2k DC with AD, i pulled my hair out before i figured this out. I removed and reinstalled AD with a top level domain, without, with again, without again. finally i put the ip into the dns list, and all was well.

But i've setup a few 2k AD DC's with a conventional domain name, and have no problems.