Wierd DNS happenings

Thread: Wierd DNS happenings

Wierd DNS happenings

First:

Scenario - IBM PIII Netfinity Server with 768MB RAM
    MS SBS 2000
    Exchange 2000
    ISA
    Internet Access is a 56k Modem (alll thats availiable here)

What happened - installed SP1 for SBS (included SP3 for Win2K and SP3 for Exchange [I needed the SP3 for Exchange for email related issues]). Other than the email however, everything else was running as perfect as perfect can be. After the install a wierd issue has popped up. Periodically the DNS host record for my server will change to the modem IP. I run several utilities (including ISA) wich require DNS resolution to the server, since ISA is filtering the external IP address and routing them to the DNS server, I basically get caught in an infinite loop which does timeout luckily. However, none of those services work.

I can, as soon as I notice the issue, manually change the DNS Host record to the correct IP and all is good. But this is a pain in the $#%&.

I do not know even how to look this up at MS, as I am not sure what the issue is.

Any thoughts???

Try changing ntfs permissions to read only for everyone including system maybe?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

DNS

You can disallow hosts the ability to dynamically update there DNS entries.

how are you connecting to the LAN on the system with the problem?
    duuuuuude........

Go into Network and Dial-up Connections. On the Tools menu, click on Advanced. Make sure the internal network card is at the top of the list. This will make the server register the correct IP address in DDNS.

Good luck

Mike.