Can I legally give away SP1?

Thread: Can I legally give away SP1?

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Can I legally give away SP1?

Just wondering if I can give away the full 133mb version on a cdrom in my shop to customers? Does the EULA prohibit this?

If the customer has a legal copy of XP, I dont see why not.... You can download it for free...(although I have been known to be wrong a time of ten)
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Thanks to A d e p t for the avatar!!!!

Im done here

I can't see why it wouldn't be legal, but this is Microsoft we are talking about! It is after all a free download, you can't gain any advantage by having it as a stand-alone package, it will only work when you have XP that (theoretically) requires you to have bought a license.

Could you email MS and ask? No idea what the email would be, licensing dept. or something similiar?

emr

I expect to see it on magazine covers soon... I don't see any reason why you cannot give it away - as long as it is giving!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Exclamation

Just warn the customer about it...
    If your customer has a Pirated Key than he'll probably won't succeed / F@#k up his system wiht XP sp1.

Lots of rumors about it.
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

I've seen people selling it on Ebay for those who are on dialup. Seems that M$ ends those auctions though.
    I drink therefore I am.

Originally posted by Gabriel
    Just warn the customer about it...
    If your customer has a Pirated Key than he'll probably won't succeed / F@#k up his system wiht XP sp1.

Lots of rumors about it.
    Oh well then maybe Techs can get them to BUY a legit copy from him!!!
    That's real funny "Hi I have a pirated copy of your software and I would like you to also supply me with free updates and patches"
    And it won't screw the system up it just refuses to install.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Quite frankly I don't give a da*n about people with pirated software. I just wanted to help out my customers who don't have the time to download SP1 on a dialup. I will warn them about the disabling pirated software feature but that is their problem. I just didn't want to violate the EULA.

Yeah, that's definitely an issue. I just burned my kids a copy of SP-1 and popped it in the mail for them. My ex lives out in the middle of the California desert which has extremely dirty phone lines. So even though the PC I built them has the best HW modem money can buy, they still get really slow connect rates and can't seem to be able to stay on-line for more than 20 minutes at a time without getting their connection dropped.

I think it's pretty obvious that Microsoft wants (and eventually will require) all of it's customers running XP to install SP-1, so I really don't think they'll have any objections to said customers acquiring it any which way they can.
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

I see no issue with it at all. As long as it's giving. Like a few others said, it won't install on a select few Installation ID's. So even if they do have one of those they won't be able to do much with it.
    System Specs
    ------------------------------------------------
    Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

512MB PC2100 DDR RAM,

Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti4400,

TDK 48X24X48 CD/RW

Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM

As i understand it MS patches and service packs are free for re-publication on any site or through any other means such as buring to cd and passing around the office! Not everyone is blessed with broadband

The magazines all do it and its not as if they ask microsoft everytime they want to! Mind you i would not be suprised if its says somewhere in the EULA that they are supposed to include certain legal jargon.

It is in microsofts intrest for people to patch so they are not really going to have a problem with people distributing it even if you were brushing on the corners of legality.