Win 98 2nd DNS Resolution Problems!!

Thread: Win 98 2nd DNS Resolution Problems!!

Question Win 98 2nd DNS Resolution Problems!!

Ok, heres my situation. I have this Windows 98 2nd Ed machine hooked up to a network. I'm also running a Windows 2000 Domain Server on this network running DHCP, DNS and NAT for my network to access the cable modem. I also have about 6 other Win98 2nd machines running just fine, LAN and internet work just fine on them.

My problem is with the 98 machine, its setup for DHCP correctly, and it does get the IP, Gateway, etc.. from the server. The system works just fine on the LAN. And it will PING any IP address on the Internet just fine. The thing just won't resolve any DNS names at all.
    I've tried other NIC's, un-installing all Network stuff(protcols, services, drivers,etc) and Re-installed, Tried newer drivers, checked the routing table. Everything looks great but NO DNS resolution. Oh yeah, the system works fine if I hook it up to a different hard drive, so its a windows problems, but I'm looking for a way to fix my problem without re-installing.

Please help

Ken Meister
    Sounds like you need a good FDISK

In the dns tab of the tcp/ip properties, is the server listed?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

On all of the Win98 2nd machines, the DNS tab is set to Didable DNS. But just this one system will not work.

just for a giggle
    put the servers ip in the dns tab and reboot
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

ok, I tried using both my DNS servers IP as well as my ISP's DNS servers. Now the system will PING websites. But when I open IE6.0 up, it won't open any websites. I've cleared the cache, reset the defaults, etcs. Doesn't help.

PS. I appreciate your help with my problem