Question A7V333 BIOS flash

The following system has been setup and running fine:

ASUS A7V333
    AMD XP 1900
    512 MB cl2.5 266 ram DDR SDRAM
    ASUS GFORCE 2 GTS AGP graphics card
    Modem
    Sony PINICAL fire wire card for DV camera

Until ....... attempting a live bios update from the ASUS website. loaded the ASUS live update program re booted and there was no problem. then proceeded to do an update following the procedure and choosing the update BIOS from internet and then choosing the FTP in TW to do the down load from. everything was looking fine and the Bios no 1007 was downloads and i accepted the thermal protection shut off.
    the SYSTEM was in the process of rebooting after downloading the Bios i think when it shot down and i have not since been able to boot at all!
    there is the now a message at the POST vocal message stage saying that the SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST and cant get to a bios to check or change any thing as there is nothing happening other that this woman saying this constantly!!!

cant get as far as to re-flash with the previous BIOS, dont have another CPU to test, any ideas????????

Banned
    ok , the latest bios is 1013 , available from german site , and live update 3.35.01 , although this is of little help to u at the moment.

over the last few bios versions , 166 as been added , and i am wondering if the bios has set to that by default?

having unsuccsessfully tried to o/c mine (147 was the limit) i was left in a simular situation to you. the only answer was to remove the power lead and close the cmos pins for a few seconds , this then reset it to factory defaults and was ok.

i am not in a possition to check , but the asus board is set (by a simple k/stroke to boot from floppy and read the bios info ,

however the post speech re the cpu fail is a common prob on the asus forums ,,

i would suggest the above ,or simply persist at restarting it , or maybe put a duron (cheepest) in it to check the board if still ok.

failing that RMA the board saying that it is beeing too critical on cpu choise.

good luck

FtF

Using the internet to flash your bios has got to be the most dangerous thing ever!!!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Using the internet to flash your bios has got to be the most dangerous thing ever!!!
    This is true.

As Freddy sugested, try clearing the CMOS, failing that, read Ruslans BIOS recovery tips in my bookmarks

Good Luck.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Having done the same thing, with the same result, I called Asus, and the tech I spoke to said there was nothing to be done about it except return the board. He didn't really flinch when he found out it was the live bios update. Apparently, there is something very wrong there, but they don't seem to be in a big hurry to fix it. Mine went kerflooey a couple of months ago, and yours just today.....hmmmmmm.

I do recall there being a check box to clear the NVR, and that might have done it. Not sure though.

Good Luck,

Charlie
    "Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.

Originally posted by CompuDocs
    Having done the same thing, with the same result, I called Asus, and the tech I spoke to said there was nothing to be done about it except return the board. He didn't really flinch when he found out it was the live bios update. Apparently, there is something very wrong there, but they don't seem to be in a big hurry to fix it. Mine went kerflooey a couple of months ago, and yours just today.....hmmmmmm.

I do recall there being a check box to clear the NVR, and that might have done it. Not sure though.

Good Luck,

Charlie
    All they will be doing is replacing the IC chip and repackageing and sending back out, so they dont realy have to worry about much or about loosing money, now if it was faulty components on a batch of boards then im sure you would see action.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

thanks for your input, the post is for a friend or mine who has done this and now cant use his comp .... hence me posting !!!

looks like the thing has to go back then

did you read ruslan's tips on bios recovery...that man is a god...
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...