Running dual network cards

Thread: Running dual network cards

Running dual network cards

Is it possible to setup a dual network system where one card only recieves data and the other sends under NT Server 4 ??

Also what software does one need to use disk quotas in NT Server 4 ?

Thanks

I can help you with part of your question. For disk quotas to work properly under NT Server 4 you need to do 2 things. 1) At least Service Pack 4 must be installed. 2) The partition or drive(s) that you wish to set quotas on must be formatted NTFS. Here is the Microsoft Technet Article

As far as the dual network cards question, I do not believe what you are trying to acheive is possible. With 100Mb per second networks (and greater) I don't see where that would be necessary. Although if you were to pay a ton of $$ for a NIC that has a ton of management features it MAY be possible, but I myself have never seen or heard of it
    Last edited by nytiger73; September 25th, 2002 at 09:42 AM.
    System Specs
    ------------------------------------------------
    Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

512MB PC2100 DDR RAM,

Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti4400,

TDK 48X24X48 CD/RW

Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM

I had a setup using dual Intel Pro100 NICs in a Novell Netware 5 server in my previous job, but this was used for load balancing and fault-tolerance (plugged into different switches).

Using a specific card for incoming or outgoing packets is not something I'm familiar with, and I strongly doubt WinNT could do it in any case.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I've used dual NICs in a server to segment out particular networks. (Two different companies sharing the same server - go figure!)

I didn't see anything pertaining to traffic flow direction in NT. When we went to 2000, still nothing about traffic direction.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Get gigabit!!!
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I believe with if you have a Full Duplex 100bt connection, you basically have a 100 connection in and a 100 connection out. That is my understanding of what full duplex means. Of course I am not infallible and have occasionally misunderstood concepts.
    Tr!une

Postcount = Legit Postcount + 1
    100+ all tech, no WOTPP

Not really. In any tcp/ip connection data has to be sent out of each interface on multiple layers just to setup and establish connections.

If you want to configure NTs routing tables so that traffic from a given network is only forwarded out of a given interface, that is possible but fairly complex. As far as accepting traffic into a given interface I don't know of a way to filter that with NT but, plugging that interface into a seperate switch (seperate from your other interface/nic) might get you to your goal...
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!