basic 9x client/2k domain question...

Thread: basic 9x client/2k domain question...

Registered User Stanley_Kubrick's Avatar

basic 9x client/2k domain question...

Hey team, hope this post finds you all happy and in good health:

I have a question which may seem ridiculously simple to those who do this type of stuf all day, but I need a nudge in the right direction.

As some of you may know, Small Business Server provides a convenient wizard which creates a floppy disk for you to run on 9x-based clients to introduce them to the domain.
    We primarily recommend SBS to our clients due to the ease of administration, and the fact that they get it all somewhat economically.

In lab environments in-store, which we do before we install the stuff, I have tried for fun/learning to get the 9x machines on the domain w/o the SBS floppy, with little success. I, for my own piece of mind and general tech-enhancement, would like to know how to add 9x clients to a domain without the "miracle floppy" from SBS. Assuming I have created the user and given them rights, how is this accomplished? Any tips or links are appreciated!

peace!

Reggie
    Jesus Saves.

Gretzky recovers... He shoots... HE SCORES!!!

A few years back, I remember having to do something similar. Bear with me as I try to remember:

1. There should be a directory \\[server]\Clients\Response\[computer name of user]. Make sure the new computer name is present, if not make one.
    2. Copy files from another computer name to the new computer name directory.
    3. Change the settings in the Netparam.ini file in the directory you just created to reflect the new user. This file should be self explanitory as what to change.

I hope this helps but I might be wrong. Oh ya, don't forget to add the actual user account and bla bla bla, you know the rest.
    To each his/her own.

if it is w2k

Make sure the computer account is in AD users and groups and jsut set the network properties in w98 (client for ms networking) to connect to the domain
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA

You shouldn't even have to create an account for a 9x machine...9x automatically creates and removes its own account on the domain. Just make sure ou have the TCP/IP settings right, tell the machine to log on to the proper domain, and there is one other setting that escapes me right now, but it has to do with telling the machine to get its authorized users list from the domain server instead of having users provide a password for each shared resource.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

Stanley is trying to connect to a sbs with full functionality of the sbs server. Connecting just to a NT Domain controller from a 9x client is simple by itself, just make sure you configure your protocols correctly and make sure there is an account to logon with. But, with sbs, if you want full functionality of the sbs server without using the disks created by the sbs server then you have to do what I posted earlier. Granted, some may not understand that this setup is a little different but that is a common mistake.
    To each his/her own.