ip address wont release
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ip address wont release

Cool ip address wont release

i have a machine with 98se(fresh install) on a Intel 815eea m/b with integrated LAN. cant get it to work with clients cable modem. tried all the usual...shut machine down and removed power from cable modem...waited 30 seconds or so and powered on modem then machine...no connect. tried pci nic that i know is good...same thing. when i use winipcfg to release the ip address of the nic nothing happens when i clik the release button. if i clik the renew button then winipcfg hangs. all the tcp/ip settings are correct(same as my home machine that works fine). this machine does the same thing at my home and clients home. same ISP. intel diags show that the onboard lan is good. i've removed everything from the network settings and reinstalled...no joy. i formatted this machine and reinstalled 98 because of this problem. it still duznt work. bad thing is the machine ran fine on office network with this onboard lan before client brought it home. any ideas?

well it starts with 169..yes.

in that case it wont release unless there is a static put in or it can find a dhcp server
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

Originally posted by crazyman

ya,thats what I ment, 169. sorry,it's been a while and I was going from memory,I think -Senectus- put it better than me and is right,but I also ment that the pc was not able to see the modem or switch/hub to get an address assigned to it,or the nic has gone bad, -Senectus- kind of refreshed my memory from my modem intall days,thanks
    lol... no problem :-)
    But er.. what do you mean your modem install days? (Ihope its not what I think it is.. it sounds painfull)
    "The fact that I think Bach was mistaken doesn't alter the fact that I think the B-minor Mass is one of the greatest pinnacles of human achievement. It still absolutely moves me to tears to hear it. I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously" - Douglas Adams

so a bad NIC is about the only thing it could be then? friggin INTEL...their diags say the NIC is ok.

and the Kingston i tried is doin the same thing...
    Last edited by geeksRus; August 21st, 2002 at 12:12 AM.

Originally posted by geeksRus
    so a bad NIC is about the only thing it could be then? friggin INTEL...their diags say the NIC is ok.

and the Kingston i tried is doin the same thing...
    er nooo.
    You said earlier that you also tried a PCI card and it didn't work either.. That suggests that its either the cable your using or the cable modem is broke/not confugured

i have a machine with 98se(fresh install) on a Intel 815eea m/b with integrated LAN. cant get it to work with clients cable modem. tried all the usual...shut machine down and removed power from cable modem...waited 30 seconds or so and powered on modem then machine...no connect. tried pci nic that i know is good...same thing.
    Thats a dead give away.. If I where you I'd be looking somewhere else from the NIC's..

Ummm...may be a stupid question but all the cable ISP's I've ever used require you to update the MAC Address if you are connecting via a new NIC...that may be the case in this situation...if the MAC doesn't line-up with their records then you ain't getting jack...just a thought!

Originally posted by InTheWayBoy
    Ummm...may be a stupid question but all the cable ISP's I've ever used require you to update the MAC Address if you are connecting via a new NIC...that may be the case in this situation...if the MAC doesn't line-up with their records then you ain't getting jack...just a thought!
    Really? thats wierd.. I've never used "Cable" before.. I've only ever played with DSL and the other more "traditional" forms (Fram, ISDN, POTS etc)...

What do they want your mac for?

It's a way of authenticating you...with DSL you usually have PPOE which requires a user/pass...with Cable they just use the MAC address...and each MAC address is unique to itself expect for a few cases...a little easier if you ask me, but a pain when you upgrade cause waiting to talk to a tech support fool can take forever!!!

I have found that when the ip will not release that winsock is also screwed up.

The quickest way to fix that is uninstall dialupnetworking in add/remove programs, reboot, and add it back in again... Yes I know he doesn't need dialup networking, but in 98 I found that if a 98 install is done without dialup networking it will not connect via the lan because winsock is not installed properly.

You might also try downloading the dun 1.4 update from m$.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

thanx everyone...i'll give this another shot.

well i am convinced that it is something on the ISP's end...after all i am posting on the same cable modem that i am trying to get the new computer to work on. it is Charter Cable and i think the tech support guy i talked to yesterday wasn't sure what to do. as i recall they have to delete some account info when you change NICs...probably the NIC address (does that make sense?). i'll call em back when i get a chance...maybe i will get a different support tech.

Angry

well...i called Charter Cable and talked to a tech named Ron...Ron had a good attitude...the tech i talked to yesterday just had an attitude. Seems like you need to RESET the cable modem...not just turn off the power. the old paper-clip in the pin-hole trick. now everything works like a champ. i'm embarrased...i should've thot of that. but thot i would let you know in case someone else has the same problem. thanx everybody.

Did you make sure the NIC was set to 10BT/half duplex? My cable modem isn't recognized if I don't do this.

He got it working and if I were you I would complain to my ISP that I have a bad modem? Half duplex? It could also be a cheasy NIC (they could get you another one if they supplied it).

Originally posted by Chemwiz
    Did you make sure the NIC was set to 10BT/half duplex? My cable modem isn't recognized if I don't do this.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert