Win ME - TCP/IP is messed up, any ideas?

Thread: Win ME - TCP/IP is messed up, any ideas?

Win ME - TCP/IP is messed up, any ideas?

I've got a computer here that's running Windows ME, and it's TCP/IP is all messed up (I think). What happens is if you use the modem, it will dial up and connect, but do nothing aftewards. If you use the NIC, it can correctly renew a new IP address from my DHCP server, but it absolutely cannot ping the dhcp server (standard win98se box running ICS, gives out 192.168.0.X addresses, the server is 192.168.0.1) as it times out every time. Normally when I have this problem, I follow MS KB article Q288133, which basically has you uninstall TCP/IP and DUN, remove HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2 from the registry, replace winsock.dll, wsock32.dll and icmp.dll, reboot the computer and reinstall TCP/IP and DUN. However, that article seems to only apply to Win98 and 98SE. The problem is the exact same thing as in that article, just on Windows ME. Being that WinME is basically the same thing, I did everything the article tells me, but it doesn't work (yes I know, use msconfig to extract winsock files, not SFC). Do you guys think there is any hope of not reloading the OS? Thanks

/|rokh
    "I can depend on my brain when I need it, but not necessarily when I want it to work."

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar

Re: Win ME - TCP/IP is messed up, any ideas?

Originally posted by arokh
    I've got a computer here that's running Windows ME, and it's TCP/IP is all messed up (I think). What happens is if you use the modem, it will dial up and connect, but do nothing aftewards. If you use the NIC, it can correctly renew a new IP address from my DHCP server, but it absolutely cannot ping the dhcp server (standard win98se box running ICS, gives out 192.168.0.X addresses, the server is 192.168.0.1) as it times out every time. Normally when I have this problem, I follow MS KB article Q288133, which basically has you uninstall TCP/IP and DUN, remove HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2 from the registry, replace winsock.dll, wsock32.dll and icmp.dll, reboot the computer and reinstall TCP/IP and DUN. However, that article seems to only apply to Win98 and 98SE. The problem is the exact same thing as in that article, just on Windows ME. Being that WinME is basically the same thing, I did everything the article tells me, but it doesn't work (yes I know, use msconfig to extract winsock files, not SFC). Do you guys think there is any hope of not reloading the OS? Thanks

/|rokh
    There is always hope, even with Windows ME.

I would remove all networking components, then remove both the NIC and modem from device manager. Reinstall the NIC drivers, but leave the modem disabled until you can get the NIC functioning properly. Focus on one problem at a time and you'll get her fixed up proper.
    WWBRD?

TCP/IP Troubleshooting according to Microsoft, for laughs.

I just spent the last 20 minutes searching for an equivalent WinME document to the one I had used under Win98 to completely remove and re-install the TCP/IP stack (a more complete procedure than Q288133), but no luck.

But I did find this: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q286748
    Last edited by a d e p t; September 25th, 2002 at 03:56 PM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I know that this works in Windows 98SE. if you're having issues with your tcp/ip, even after you've dumped and rebuilt the networking component list, then what you can try is this:
    Make sure you have your operating system on c.d., first

Click Start
    Settings
    Control Panel
    Add/Remove Programs
    Windows Setup
    uncheck Communications
    restart Windows
    return to Windows Setup
    recheck Communications
    restart Windows

The rest you'll have to play by ear. Hope this helps.