Messenger POPUP

Thread: Messenger POPUP

Messenger POPUP

Im Not REALLY SURE What The Heck I Just Got Here,, Maybe Someone Will Have A Clue..
    While Sitting Here Reading Posts On The Message Board,,
    Suddenly,, Without Warning Of ANY Type,
    I Had A Messenger Message POP Up On My Screen..
    It Apperared To Be Some Type Of SPAM About Working From Home?
    Far As I Know,,, Messenger Is Not Connected, Or Lets Say,, In Messenger Options,, I Have It Set To Never Start On Boot Up..
    Any Ideas?

Maybe some kind of ad ware. Random popups are becoming popular now working by installing files on your system normally and active x control.

www.lavasoftusa.com Download and scan your system with ad aware.

Just to be sure its not a JS script or other nastly run a virus scan, they sometimes pick things like this up to.

http://housecall.antivirus.com

Also identify running processes and see if something looks abnormal.

Add to that check whats connected to the internet by using a app called Active Ports. Run a search for it.

May not be malware but it would be the first place i would start in the case of spam popups.

Just a question, messenger window? Your saying windows messenger opened and you got the message? or another messenger?

Check out this thread:

http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...threadid=44533

It will explain a lot. Now it sounds as though spammers are exploiting this bug or "feature".
    "Without fools there would be no wisdom."

Welp,,
    After Reading Tons Of Stuff again today,I Downloaded adaware And Ran It..Now,, This Was Interesting To Me,, Simply Because, I Know Kazaa Nor The Likes Of ANY Program Was NEVER Installed On Here,, Yet UCmore Was Listed In The Results And Regestry.
    It Successfully removed those items. So Now Ive Gone a step further.
    Removed Messenger Entirely~!!!!
    I NEVER Used It,, {probly NEVER Would Of Used It, Plus,, If Its THAT EASY to exploit,, HECK WITH It,, WHO Needs It lol
    Its Bad Enuff I Use AOL As My DSL And Internet Access,
    I Installed Antispyagent.. Seems To Of Killed The Messenger,,, Its GONE from my program list.. Now,, How Do I Tell Its REALLY Not Active>?
    Last edited by Trout; September 26th, 2002 at 08:13 PM.

try typing the following in a command prompt and tell me if you get the same type of window "net send 127.0.0.1 hello!!!"
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!

I just checked my MSN Messenger and I discovered something shocking. (I finally installed Windows SP1 last week) Open the main messenger window, go to the tools menu, options, privacy tab. You will see that "All other users" is in the allow list. This is weird, because by default as I remember this is supposed to be in the block list by default. Switch this over and the spammers will not be able to send you any more messages.

Personally, I've almost had it up to here with instant messengers, I'm just about ready to uninstall them all and anybody that wants to talk can pick up the phone.....

Actually these messages are being sent through the Windows Messenger service in windows 200/xp. This is different than MSN Messenger.

The messenger service is supposed to allow network admins to broadcast messages to clients over the network. IE: "Serverx is going down in 5 min, please save your work."

To stop this service, goto control panel, then administrative tools, then services. Find the messenger service on the list, right-click it and goto properties. Set the startup to manual. This will keep the service from starting automatically and keep you from getting those annoying messages.

Originally posted by Joker1
    try typing the following in a command prompt and tell me if you get the same type of window "net send 127.0.0.1 hello!!!"
    Wow,,, Did That,,, And YES,, Thats The BOX That Popped Up,, Only Difference Was,, The Box I Got Had Spam In It..
    Is There A Way To Kill This??
    Trout

See my post above......................

Originally posted by Milenko
    See my post above......................

WOOHOOO It Appears To Be Turned Off Now,,Im AMAZED Though,, SPAMMERS Sure Go To Great Lengths .
    Spammers vs The Rest Of Us lol