What am I missing??

Thread: What am I missing??

Unhappy What am I missing??

Hi All,

OK, I know I am missing something. I have a dual PII board that has a SCSI card and two SCSI HD's. I did a clean install with Win 2K Pro......all is fine. I was dissapointed in the speed of the drives, so I got myself a ATA 100 HD and a ATA 100 controler card. What I want to do is (am trying to do), Copy contents from current boot drive (SCSI 0) to new drive on ATA card master. I can copy fine, but when I try to switch the boot order from the SCSI to the ATA controler, I get a "boot sector not found" and if I remove the SCSI card alltogether, I gat a Win 2K error stating a serious hardware error. I trust that someone has gone throug this before, please let me benifit from you experience>

Thank you in advance

Irish Shark

You said you were "copying" the contents of SCSI to ATA drive(s). Is that correct?

Didn't you mean you imaged the drive using Ghost or Drive Image?

Unless you did an identical image of the original system drive onto your new one, there's nothing short of re-installing/repairing Win2000 (or maybe using Partition Magic?) that could make it "visible" as a boot drive.

What motherboard are you using? On my board, specifying SCSI as the boot device also takes into consideration my ATA100 controller card - the board doesn't make a distinction between the two. If I specify IDE (if I recall correctly), then the onboard IDE controllers are polled for boot devices.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Let me clarify further. Both the SCSI and the ATA drive are from Seagate. I am using the Seagate drive install software to Partition, Format and copy all files from Drive C: (SCSI 0) to Drive F: (IDE ATA Primary Master).

I'm unfamiliar with that software.

Does it do a complete "disk-to-disk" image or just a general copy?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

It is the drive install software and it does a complete copy/image.

You have moved your boot device from scsi to ata - windows 2000 builds the boot on the hardware involved. It cannot find the scsi drive from which you imaged the os. You will need to either install over, or you could try running a repair. Either way you cannot boot from an image that is on an ata device that was created on a scsi device.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

You might be able to get it to work by editing your boot.ini file.

See this article for more information:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...otini_04xf.asp

Right now your OS is trying to boot from the scsi controller, not the IDE controller.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"