Ghosting a 2 partition disk

Thread: Ghosting a 2 partition disk

Ghosting a 2 partition disk

Hi all,
    Simple one I hope for regular "ghost" users. I use it very infrequently and am a little stuck here!
    I have an NT4 workstation set up with a 20gb hard disk, split into 2 partitions. Total data on both partitions is less than 500mb, (including OS). I have temporarily installed a 10gb hard disk on which to place a ghost image of the first hard disk, (both partitions). Both disks, (and 2nd partition on 1st), are ntfs.
    Now when I try to ghost the 1st disk to an image on the 2nd disk, ghost appears to start creating the image. However, after a few seconds it stops and tells me the disk is full! I have tried it several times, carefully checking each step but can get no further.
    I'm using ghost 6.something and using disk to image feature.
    It's either something fundamentally stupid I'm doing, or you can't create an image of a 20gb disk onto a 10 gb disk, (even though data is <500mb).
    Any thoughts will be welcomed.

Are you compressing the image? Is the 2nd hdd void of files?

you're not by chance using a ghost boot floppy with PC-DOS on it??? I ran into the same problem using ghost2002. image would hit 2GB then say it was out of disk space. remade the boot disk with MS-DOS from a WIN98SE boot disk and no problems.

didnt read all the post so if i go over what someone else said sorry..

your main hard drive is bigger than the hard drive you are going to ghost to. thats why, it doesnt matter if the partitions are small or not.

Disk to image on a smaller image will not work

Disk to Disk well work, due to the data on the source disc is smaller thean the destination disk.

Partition to image, this will work, you will want to do this. Ghost each partition seperatly to the 10 gb drive, you will have 2 ghost images but will work the same as one. then later you can ghost both images onto a single hard drive.