Auto detect hard drive - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Auto detect hard drive

ok that got me back, it wouldn't read the disk but when i got to the startup screen, (safe mode etc) i chose command prompt and i could read from the floppy. go figure.

so i do the same thing as last time and now i get this message before the program starts...

your program caused a divide overflow error

if the problem persists please contact the program vendor...

any ideas?
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

and....

i tried once more, it gave me some virus looking info....new hard drive don't know what that is about.

so i got a new floppy, reloaded everything....retried it..got to the screen to flash and got two green bars down both sides of the screen and nothing. (before i flashed)

i'm cornfused.

i hate to keep adding posts here but i thought the more info you all had the more you could help.

i tried upgrading to the bios again....and i got

Checksum 8ABCH

The Program file's Bios-Lock string does not match with your system.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    had to use two jumpers, and run the software included with the drive

At this point you may have installed a hard drive overlay like ez drive or discwizard. If you have done this your bios may say anything. Are you checking the size in Windows or the bios? Even if you fdisk you may not remove the drive overlay. You would need to do that with the software that came with your drive. If you have 25.5 gb showing in windows it may be because the bios sees only 32 gb which some bios will do (or you have it jumpered to 32 gb) and you of course "lose" some of the drive to the partition table. Are you possibly seeing the free space after your installation of windows?

Originally posted by techs
    had to use two jumpers, and run the software included with the drive

At this point you may have installed a hard drive overlay like ez drive or discwizard. If you have done this your bios may say anything. Are you checking the size in Windows or the bios? Even if you fdisk you may not remove the drive overlay. You would need to do that with the software that came with your drive. If you have 25.5 gb showing in windows it may be because the bios sees only 32 gb which some bios will do (or you have it jumpered to 32 gb) and you of course "lose" some of the drive to the partition table. Are you possibly seeing the free space after your installation of windows?
    I used the Data Lifeguard tools that came with the Western Digital drive.

It said if your mobo won't support large drives, use the two jumpers, and run the software.

Well I ran the software but it still only showed up as exactly 25.2 + 388,000 or something from the windows installation.

i don't care if i have to format it or anything but i need to get that stupid bios working correctly.

Just a thought, but you may have to remove the harddrive utitility and then go to fdisk and delete your hdd partition and re-partition the drive
    i would format/mbr also as well

cheers
    Last edited by Crazy02; October 3rd, 2002 at 05:18 PM.
    Push to test... Release to detonate.